My Eastern Bear Season is over

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Packing up to head back to the house wasn't the beast late season I have ever had,but wasn't the worst either.Weather played a big roll slowing things down,I can hunt in the cold,and the wind but I see no reason to try and strike a bear when its raining just doesn't work.Still we took out some nice bear with some great looking hides going to make some nice rugs.We took out 2 that were under 300lb both of those were in the high 2's,2 in the over 500lb range,1 that was 662lbs the others were in the 300lb to 400lb.Had some great chases,found a couple for some still hunters that had lost the blood trail took about 30 min. to find each bear. No hounds were injured so all in all not a bad season.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,. No hounds were injured so all in not a bad season.

that is testament to the brains and "bear sense" of your bear pack,,,,,,,,

glad it was a good season, some nice bears there

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Packing up to head back to the house wasn't the beast late season I have ever had,but wasn't the worst either.Weather played a big roll slowing things down,I can hunt in the cold,and the wind but I see no reason to try and strike a bear when its raining just doesn't work.Still we took out some nice bear with some great looking hides going to make some nice rugs.We took out 2 that were under 300lb both of those were in the high 2's,2 in the over 500lb range,1 that was 662lbs the others were in the 300lb to 400lb.Had some great chases,found a couple for some still hunters that had lost the blood trail took about 30 min. to find each bear. No hounds were injured so all in not a bad season.

What's your guess guess on the ratio of bears taken with dogs vs still hunting in The eastern part of the state? Just simply curious, not looking to start a pissing contest or debabte on which method is more effective.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What's your guess guess on the ratio of bears taken with dogs vs still hunting in The eastern part of the state? Just simply curious, not looking to start a pissing contest or debabte on which method is more effective.

The last stats I saw (2 years ago) was that less that 10% of the bears taken in the eastern districts were taken by stand/still hunters.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I tend to agree with Mike,it may have risen some but I would not think it is much.