New bow deadly accurate except for 1 arrow

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've been shooting my new Hoyt Powermax in the barn the last couple of evenings. Overall I am extremely pleased with the bow and myself being that I have not shot a bow in many years. The first group of arrows I shot did have one arrow fly away from the group by several inches, I thought nothing of it. I was certain it had to be me. Next grouping was a little better as I made sure to take extra time but there was still an arrow that was drifting from the rest of the group which I felt like was very tight. I still did not think much of it, I haven't shot a bow in many moons there is one in the group I'm getting slack with or jerking etc. I shot 6 arrows at the target at least a half dozen times honestly probably more and every single time I'd have one arrow drifting or as I'd say with a high powered rifle "spitting bullets". After paying a little attention and realizing what was going on I started paying attention to specific arrows. It is the same arrow every time. When I did not shoot the arrow in question my group was tight as anyone could ask for. This brings me to the part that is puzzling me. There is absolutely no visible difference in any of the arrows what so ever, no damage on the feathers/fletching, no warping, no loose tips....nothing what so ever. They are brand new arrows. All the arrows are so similar in appearance that I am evening thinking it may be more of a shooter error than equipment. I am not talking about one arrow being off a inch or two occasionally and fairly regular I am having an arrow be off target by 6 or 7 inches, possibly more in any given directions. In other words its not always off right, left or up and down its just off, could be any direction. Figured I would post here before I shoot again and see if anyone has anything I need to look for, try, or change.

Speed1

Eight Pointer
You should always Mark each arrow with a number, that way you can tell if you have a faulty arrow, it is marked, so you know it's the same one. Save those for practice only. Believe it or not, your experience with the flier is pretty common. Best of luck with the bow hunting.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I've been shooting my new Hoyt Powermax in the barn the last couple of evenings. Overall I am extremely pleased with the bow and myself being that I have not shot a bow in many years. The first group of arrows I shot did have one arrow fly away from the group by several inches, I thought nothing of it. I was certain it had to be me. Next grouping was a little better as I made sure to take extra time but there was still an arrow that was drifting from the rest of the group which I felt like was very tight. I still did not think much of it, I haven't shot a bow in many moons there is one in the group I'm getting slack with or jerking etc. I shot 6 arrows at the target at least a half dozen times honestly probably more and every single time I'd have one arrow drifting or as I'd say with a high powered rifle "spitting bullets". After paying a little attention and realizing what was going on I started paying attention to specific arrows. It is the same arrow every time. When I did not shoot the arrow in question my group was tight as anyone could ask for. This brings me to the part that is puzzling me. There is absolutely no visible difference in any of the arrows what so ever, no damage on the feathers/fletching, no warping, no loose tips....nothing what so ever. They are brand new arrows. All the arrows are so similar in appearance that I am evening thinking it may be more of a shooter error than equipment. I am not talking about one arrow being off a inch or two occasionally and fairly regular I am having an arrow be off target by 6 or 7 inches, possibly more in any given directions. In other words its not always off right, left or up and down its just off, could be any direction. Figured I would post here before I shoot again and see if anyone has anything I need to look for, try, or change.

sounds like fletching could be misaligned or something. If the arrows arent top dollar you may just want to toss it and move on. If it continues to happen then you may want to look deeper but it sounds like you just got a bum arrow.

killa_cam11

Four Pointer
What type of arrows are you shooting?

Have you tried changing the tip out? Be it a field point or broad head. The ferrule could be bent and causing this.

Last edited:

SnaveHD

Rotate the nock to the next vane and then to the next until it flies straight, mark the vane that it shoots straight indexed on. When you re-fletch, make that one your new :donk:donk:donk:donk vane. Google "nock tuning" or "how to index arrows"

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Weigh the arrow, rub it down with a cotton ball to make sure no cracks or anything wrong with it.
Measure the dia in several different areas to see if there is a problem.

Bet it is a bad shaft if nothing on the fletching.

ChasinTrophies

Mark the arrow, then blindly shoot the group again to see if it's really one arrow. If it's the same one, try replacing the nock. If that doesn't work, rotate the nock like SnaveHD said.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
It's not that uncommon to get a flyer or 2 out of a dozen carbon arrows, especially if they were factory fletched. Sometimes nock tuning will get em grouping with the rest and sometimes not.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Spin test it to, not all arrows are straight! Any manufactured product can have a defect. Inset may not be in properly as well.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If you are certain it's the same arrow, try what others have suggested. Then, I'd try refletching.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
open barn door, nock bad arrow, draw bow with bad arrow, point towards the woods, aim a 45 degree angle, let arrow fly.