Fishing In January?

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Anything worth fishing for near nags head in January? Thought about extending my vaca when I go swan hunting and doing some fishing while down that way.

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Tuna are offshore. Yellowfins, bigeyes and bluefish are Round in January. Also wahoo are around. Occasionally you'll hear if a dolphin or two being caught.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
What would one use for stripers around the sure?

Was planning to surf fish....assuming inshore charters run in January? Might be an option

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I think your odds in the surf for stripers are kinda low. Might be able to get into some decent sized blues. The manns Harbor bridge usually holds a fair amount of decent size fish, nothing like the ocean ones but still fun. Use 2 buck tails with grub trailers set up as a mojo.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think your odds in the surf for stripers are kinda low. Might be able to get into some decent sized blues. The manns Harbor bridge usually holds a fair amount of decent size fish, nothing like the ocean ones but still fun. Use 2 buck tails with grub trailers set up as a mojo.
Yep, be about a month late for stripers.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Years ago you stood a chance of catching a striper in the surf but i haven't heard of them making it down this far in some time. Lots of dogfish to be caught and small blues. Occasionally a drum. I went every year in Dec and January for about 10 years, weather can be all over the map!

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
So, let's say I'm board and just wanna fish, couldn't careless what I catch. Sharks, blues, doesn't matter...what bait would y'all use and where around 45mins from nags head would you recommend going?

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
So, let's say I'm board and just wanna fish, couldn't careless what I catch. Sharks, blues, doesn't matter...what bait would y'all use and where around 45mins from nags head would you recommend going?

Stop in Whalebone Tackle right there on the Nags Head causeway, they'll point you in the right direction and tell what you need. Should be able to catch some dogsharks in the surf if nothing else.

obxfisherman83

Button Buck
A few years back we got into the strippers off the surf but it was at the beginning of January

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk