Beach Driving

witler

Eight Pointer
Does anyone with experience know by comparsion the sand at Ft. Fisher is to the sand at OBX, Corolla area? I have driven at Ft. Fisher but not OBX and going there next June.

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
Years ago we took a Jeep out on the beaches of Corolla driving around with no problems, but that was close to 10 years ago now.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
To me Corolla to Carova seemed rougher and more deep/soft sand than any place I've been. I would say it is a little more difficult than Ft. Fisher.

Edit: It is more like Portsmouth/Cape Lookout.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've driven them all, and know that sand conditions change over time with short term weather and other factors . You can't really compare location to location. With that said, Duck and the northern areas tend to have more red "sand" on the beaches, which is truly not sand at all, but small crushed shells, which will not support your vehicle and should be avoided at all costs.

One way to gauge the sand is look at the ruts formed by tires, including looking at your own in the rear view mirror. If the bottom of the rut shows tire tread pattern, and/or is flat, you are generally OK (more pattern showing in the sand the better). If the tracks from other vehicles and yours are V shaved, you can be in big trouble. They are V shaped because the sand is so loose that it caves into the depression left by the tires, not a good sign....NC Beach Buggy # 352

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
One way to gauge the sand is look at the ruts formed by tires, including looking at your own in the rear view mirror. If the bottom of the rut shows tire tread pattern, and/or is flat, you are generally OK (more pattern showing in the sand the better). If the tracks from other vehicles and yours are V shaved, you can be in big trouble. They are V shaped because the sand is so loose that it caves into the depression left by the tires, not a good sign....NC Beach Buggy # 352

Absolute truth ^ Good info. I about stuck my Wrangler up just out of Corolla years ago in the red quicksand. Learned quick that airing down even more, speed and not stopping in it were all good things!

<>< Fish

Secret Spot

Six Pointer
The #1 mistake that most people make is tire air pressure. I have driven on beaches from Cape Lookout to Corolla and with proper air pressure you will have no issues if you use a little common sense. I agree you should avoid red shell sand if possible. I drive my suburban with air let down to around 20 psig and have had no issues over the years.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Was at Corolla last month and we drove all the way up to the VA line several times with no issues. Some spots were a tad soft but there was a firm bottom and as stiab mentioned you could see the tread pattern in the bottom of the ruts meaning we had good traction. If you have any concern just plan your driving at lower tides where more firm beach is exposed and you'll have no issues. When you encounter a soft area just try to maintain your speed/momentum and don't hammer it as to let the tires bury themselves.

ecufan

Eight Pointer
Just lower your air pressure and you will be fine. I don't know how many people I have seen over the years who don't do this and get stuck.