Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to Coyote Hunting

Four Pointer

Or you can do like someone posted sometime back....take a cable or rope and hang from a tree...on end tie one of the 3 treble hooks...big fish hook..like 3-4" long...hang piece meat on it....just high enough for coyote to stand on his back legs and get meat in his mouth...check in few days and he will be hanging there if he don't get eat by his brothers....kinda cruel but works. Now I do not know if legal...best check regs.

No it is not legal at all

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie 70 View Post
    Or you can do like someone posted sometime back....take a cable or rope and hang from a tree...on end tie one of the 3 treble hooks...big fish hook..like 3-4" long...hang piece meat on it....just high enough for coyote to stand on his back legs and get meat in his mouth...check in few days and he will be hanging there if he don't get eat by his brothers....kinda cruel but works. Now I do not know if legal...best check regs.
    Actually you are delving in felony waters there, all you have to do is catch a dog.

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by nccatfisher View Post
    Actually you are delving in felony waters there, all you have to do is catch a dog.
    Or anything that gets hold of that meat....going to get hold of that hook and no way to get loose if dangling off ground. Got to really want to get rid of some coyotes to do that and very cruel way to do it, but can you imagine them getting educated to this way of trapping/catching...I can't. They do not know that hook in meat or there brother hanging there...why? I bet this is done more than people think and if done in remote places and no one around be hard to catch whoever done it. They get hungry and they going to eat said meat hanging there for a free meal. Cruel.

Yeah as per another thread about reading the regs, it is covered:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Trapping/L...e-restrictions

Unlawful to set or use a hook of any sort or type to take wild animals or wild birds.

There's that reading thing again,,,,,

Wasn't there some posts earlier about hunter competence?
    when the truth hurts,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by woodmoose View Post
    There's that reading thing again,,,,,

Wasn't there some posts earlier about hunter competence?
    That pops up way more often than not.

Not but a couple of things excite me more than a dead coyote but anyone that would "capture" even a coyote using hooks is pretty low in my opinion. For me it doesn't have to be against the law and covered in the Regulations Digest to refrain from doing such a cruel thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R View Post
    Not but a couple of things excite me more than a dead coyote but anyone that would "capture" even a coyote using hooks is pretty low in my opinion. For me it doesn't have to be against the law and covered in the Regulations Digest to refrain from doing such a cruel thing.
    I totally agree.

Six Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R View Post
    I agree as well