Gameland turkeys

Zombie1978

How many here has killed turkeys on gamelands? Post pics if you have them. I'm not asking where because if I have a good spot I won't tell either. I have a couple good ones I will try and post.

Attachments

• turkey 002.jpg
    turkey 002.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 9

robertc

Eight Pointer
My first experience Turkey hunting on game lands was in 1991. I went with a buddy who said "I have found a bird and there should not be anyone there" At sun up I could see 7 hunters not including us. I told God if he would get me out alive, I would never go back. My hats off to any of you that turkey hunt game lands. Post your photos proudly.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have not hunted turkeys on game lands but I have been getting a lot of photos of them on my game camera.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Here are a few. I think it's been 13 years since I have hunted and killed one on NC public land.

scan0006.jpg

Halsjake05.jpg

scan0001.jpg

015_12A.jpg

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
75% of mine have been on Gamelands in the mountains.

But all are in spots you cant hear from any road...Lots of the good places near roads get drivebys. all morning with people hooting or calling and trying to hear a bird.

I like hunting in big coves where you cant hear them gobble from a road.

But, it requires physical scouting in deer or grouse season to find sign, and you burn a morning going in there if the birds have moved on.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Killed the majority of mine on public land to 6 years ago. Had the tree I was setting against covered up with shot, luckily it was wider that I was and the person doing the shooting was eager enough that he just shot at what little movement he could see around the tree. That ended my public hunting for turkeys, well anything in the daylight.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
A few public land birds, I have killed 90% of my turkeys off gameland and refuges.

Attachments

• 101_1960.jpg
    101_1960.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 101_1954.jpg
    101_1954.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1266.jpg
    1266.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1277.jpg
    1277.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 6

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I've only hunted public land in NC and for last 17 years have filled my tags every year but one when I fell and tore ligaments and thigh muscle in left knee only got 1 that year, crazy thing is after I slipped on wet grass to do that damage at daylight when I was trying to crawl out of woods heard 1 gobbling. I do hunt private in other states on occasion but mostly public there as well have took them in multiple states and have really had no issues in doing so as matter fact have really had non out of state as far as NC couple minor ones but nothing major. I never understood the bad rap public gets but hey hope it stays more for me

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
If I lived near the mountains, I'd hunt public land here in NC. I regularly hunt and kill birds on public land elsewhere - just none in NC.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
got a couple over the last few years on draw hunts that saved my season when the private land was a ghost town.

mcr1g5f.jpg

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3483%3Dot%3E235%3A%3D624%3D3%3A4%3DXROQDF%3E2%3A9876%3A95723%3Aot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv754%3C%3Dot%3E235%3A%3D624%3D3%3A4%3DXROQDF%3E2%3A9877%3B%3B%3B%3C23%3Aot1lsi

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I love the added challenges of public land plus I love the big really big tracts room to roam means everything to an old impatient fart

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've killed one or two on gameland, in a couple or 3 states:)

I am in the same boat with these guys. Should have killed a few more.. but if I ain't dead.. April will come again and will give it another go.

just love that sign..

TarheelTurkey

Six Pointer
My buddy and I got our first double on gameland will try to find the pic for you and I hunt them every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
As spring turkeys go...I have killed 3 of my 4 on public land draw hunts.

Took 2 during VA fall season this year on Private

Not a great turkey hunter but enjoy it...just not as much as crappie fishing

Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've killed several on gamelands. I only hunt the "permit only" gamelands, though. The "free-for-all" gamelands are overrun with to many dangerous idiots.

March14

Has anyone spent much time in the Pisgah areas around Hot Springs? Has this area traditionally held descent flocks of Turkey? And what is the terrain like ? Was thinking of checking it out this Spring.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
More turkeys than you can shake a stick at.

They are everywhere up there and there might even be too many turkeys.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

i sure would like to experience that situation. too many turkeys. LOL

i almost went to New Zealand in search of that very deal.

who knew i could go to my ole stomping grounds and have nirvana?

if one of you mountain cats can verify this (not that i doubt you crc) i'll unbook my out of state trip and gamble, fish, and hunt around pisgah instead.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i sure would like to experience that situation. too many turkeys. LOL

i almost went to New Zealand in search of that very deal.

who knew i could go to my ole stomping grounds and have nirvana?

if one of you mountain cats can verify this (not that i doubt you crc) i'll unbook my out of state trip and gamble, fish, and hunt around pisgah instead.

Enjoy your OOS trip!!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

You are quite possibly a nut! why lead this guy on and not be truthful on this if you don't have personal experience and by your post I know you don't just don't reply you don't have to chime in on every thing. As far as the area it holds birds but not all that many if you look at Pisgah harvest some down 20% last year because 2 years ago we had an absolutely terrible hatch in areas still birds around and there are pockets that did not suffer you an kill em but just be ready to walk as far as the terrain its steep and fairly rugged no real open land that you would want to hit it;ll be hardwoods hunting the openings get pressured pretty hard as far as overall pressure its moderate to heavy early then tapers off. Be assured there are not to many turkeys unless your real lucky you'll work hard for em and unless your close enough to scout you'll work real hard

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
between your and turkeyfoot's comments i think i will keep my midwest appointment. :)

No doubt you headed to turkey heaven in my book. Your about to see why I make the trek every year driving by thousands of easterns with open seasons and don't slow down till get there