New custom build 45 cal

herman

Six Pointer
My buddie built a 45 cal smokeless for me just before hunting season this year.
Haven't had much time to put many rounds down range but what I have has been very good.
Did take a doe with it at 300yds.With a heart shot.
Was hunting my box stand on a power line and had my ear plugs in because of the break.It is pretty loud

First day at the range with it took a couple shots to get it dialed in at 100 yds.

Guessed at how many clicks to go for 300 yds, wasn't to far off.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looking good Herman. Always enjoy seeing your results. Which stock is that?

herman

Six Pointer
That is a boyds stock,rem ML action and shilin barrel.
These were targets the first time at the range shooting 300gr sst blems

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Great shooting as usual, Herman. I assume Richard built that for you? Beautiful piece of work!

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Herman, That is one sweet looking new rig you got there. Looks like it shoots just as good as it looks as well. Did Richard put that together for you??

herman

Six Pointer
Yes he did.He's not a gun smith but this is a group that I shot with a 6 brx he built for me.

and a 6br

and another smokeless he built.I didn't get to keep this one long a fellow at the range saw it shoot and had to have it.

herman

Six Pointer
Thanks for all the replies.I have in addition to the 2 45 customs,I have a stock 50 cal ML11 that is very accurate also.
I don't shoot it much any more but it has shot some impressive groups at 300 yds also.And have taken deer with it little over 300 yds. So you don't have to have a custom rifle to hunt with,but they are nice to have and shoot.
I turned 75 last year and am at the range at least one day a week usually.I have about quit shooting completion because I have health issues.
The savage ML is a fine rifle so here is a few groups shot at 300 yds shot over the years:

Deerman

Four Pointer
Great shooting gun....... does your friend build them and can you order one from him?.........thanks

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
Did you modify the Savage to get it shooting that good?

I have one and have tried everything I can think of and I always get a flyer out of a 3 shot group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Herman's gun is a custom that looks like is 45 caliber shilen barrel and I bet he's shooting sabotless bullets. I can't tell on my phone if it's a Remington or Savage build though or which ignition system he's using but knowing who put it together for him it's likely a Hankins ignition system or 209 plug.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

herman

Six Pointer
The stock savage 50 cal has the recoil lug bedded.
The shelin is using a lukes plug and bushing.Shooting the 300 gr (452) resized to .449 sst's,it is built on rem ML action.
So far I have only 30 shots through the shelin barrel so far.
Deerman:
I am sure Richard would build you one if you want.Send me a pm and I'll get you his phone number.
Some time before I had tried the barnes 250 TMZ boattail bullets and didn't get them to shoot.Had tried with a wad.So decided to try them in the new rifle without using a wad and they shot great.Using the same load as with the 300's.
This target at 100 yds the bullet hole just above the red dot is a 300 sst to see where it hit,the next on by it self is the barnes to see where it hit,moved the rectile to the bullet hole and the 3-shot group is the next 3 shots.

Tried two 3-shot groups at 300 yds with 2 different loads and they shot pretty good also.

A friend that owns the gun shop had a stock 50 cal asked me if I would take and shoot it for him because he was getting ready to send it back to savage because he had already sent it back twice because the fellow that bought it said it wouldn't shoot.
So I put a scope on it and shot it at 100 yds,took me 2 shots to get it on paper,this is shots 2,3 nd 4.Took it back to him with the target,no use sending it back for the 3rd time.