Happy Veteran's Day

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I promised myself a couple years back that I would start taking Veteran's Day off from my private sector job, and I just can't seem to make it happen.

I hope the rest of you are able to take a day to remember your service.

A salute, to all my brothers and sisters in arms.

I spent a lot of time detached to different branches, peacetime, and not-so-peacetime, even the flipping Coast Guard at one point, and I can't express the gratitude for all y'all.

JC
U.S.A.R.

NCMTNSHunter

Button Buck
From another vet to another thank you as well. Going to spend the day at the state land near me and remember all who served. I was able to watch an advance showing of Hacksaw Ridge back on Nov 2nd and I recommend it highly to all since it's not a bunch of computer generated crap but a true story. Very sad but shows the sacrifice of an individual that todays youths what should be done. Good luck to all hunting today and for all the vets past and present I applaud your service.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
From an old Army guy, thanks to all my brothers and sisters in arms who served and are currently serving..

CarolinaReaper

While I never served, my grandpa was in the 82nd Airborne paratroopers and I wholeheartedly thank everyone who has served in our military. Without you, there would be no us.

61IWuCLjOFL_zpsmrjsdc3z.jpg

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And I'll add my thanks as well.....
That skinny kid on the left, nonchalantly leaning on a missile loaded on an F4 Phantom on the flight deck of the Roosevelt back in '72....is me.

Attachments

• flight deck.jpg
    flight deck.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 84

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thank you Brother. I had school today. Had a classmate shake my hand and that was a pretty humbling moment. Semper Fidelis. Happy Veterans Day Gentlemen!

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I was pleasantly surprised at how many people remembered that today was veterans day and how many took the effort to express their gratitude. Thanks to all who have and who are serving. You are America's greatest heroes.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
And I'll add my thanks as well.....
That skinny kid on the left, nonchalantly leaning on a missile loaded on an F4 Phantom on the flight deck of the Roosevelt back in '72....is me.

awesome shot longrifle.

It would be great if other forum members who have served would share some memories like this.

the rest of us could learn and appreciate even more your sacrifice for us all.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Veterans Day tribute at the Carolina Collector AutoFest in the Jim Graham building at the fairgrounds in Raleigh this weekend. The car has the seal of all branches of the military and contains the signatures of many of our nations finest. A 90 year old WW2 Veteran added his signature to it today. This started as a single WW2 Veteran signature at a parade in Timberlake, NC. The car has been retired from drag competition so as not to risk damage to the hundreds of signatures. Very unique tribute to those who have served.

IMG_20171110_163648.jpg

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
OK, dug out some old photos and since I don't have digital copies I had to photograph them so no apologies for the quality.

Me in Thailand in 1967, 50 years and 60 pounds ago.

Other pics are of a KC-135 refueling tanker, one of our F-105s loaded with two 3000 lb. bombs destined for the Paul Doumer bridge in Hanoi, and a couple more waiting to have ordinance loaded as soon as the frag order came down. The jerks in Hawaii and Washington micromanaged the air war over there to the extent that they told us every target we could bomb and how many bombs we could carry.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've never served, and due to medical conditions, probably could not have. I also know that I can't fully understand the sacrifices made by those who have. But I can tell you that I deeply appreciate ALL who have served, past and present, to preserve the American way of life that I hold so dear. I didn't post on here Saturday, but I did send a text to my first cousin in Alabama who retired from the Air Force a year ago with 28 years of service. It simply read: "Thanks for your service". That goes for all other veterans as well.