anybody fall hunting this year?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'm heading to Va Fri for gun opener in Va sat AM, been seeing lot birds back around old home place dad seeing toms and hens/jennies near barn nearly every day was good hatch this spring there

GobblinNC

Four Pointer
I am planning on trying it this fall. I have never been before but anything to let me chase some turkeys is something I need to try!

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I am planning on trying it this fall. I have never been before but anything to let me chase some turkeys is something I need to try!

Same here, I'm a fall/winter newb. Looking forward to it! My Virginia club is wrapped up with birds this fall. One of those places they apparently don't frequent much in the spring so I may as well use a tag or 2 in the fall lol.

GobblinNC

Four Pointer
Good luck and let us know when you get em! I would love to have some private land in Virginia to turkey hunt. I scouted some public land relatively close by late this Summer and am going to give it a shot there.

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
I might buy a tag in Illinois in a few weeks and try one with the recurve if the opportunity presents itself. I've called in multiple birds over the years by simply kee keeing like a young bird by whistling.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They are hitting my favorite stand almost every day. I'll shoot them with my crossbow if I see one.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You should try it wolfman, Va is lucky enough to have nice long season my favorite is 2nd week gun turkey deer ML is in at same time in my area with pre rut activity. The late Oct early Nov gun has the best weather awesome time to be in woods leaves turning and falling can be little tough because of all the food but if you buts a flock its all worth it. I don't still hunt them to boring for me I like to be on the move if I don't have a roost site to break up at daylight. The later season is fun a;so less food turkeys get more mobile just got to deal with the cold and snow

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I'm looking forward to my first fall hunt out west in a couple months. Got one day to hunt as I go to my son's graduation in ID.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds awesome let us know how it goes. ID is on my bucket list really hoping in 2018 to be there in Bitterroot for Merriams and spring bear season

adkarcher

Six Pointer
Curious as to why NC does not have a fall season. I always enjoyed that in NY. I had a nice gobbler come thru to me while bowhunting Friday night, would have been nice to get a crack at him.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Curious as to why NC does not have a fall season. I always enjoyed that in NY. I had a nice gobbler come thru to me while bowhunting Friday night, would have been nice to get a crack at him.

A few well connected voices complained about the drop in spring harvest in their locales and blamed it on the 1 week winter season that had very small harvests. That, combined with built in rules associated with the opening of the winter season got it shut down.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

"Corn" don't ever see a true fall season here no matter the population. Oh well I ain't gripping when school lets out here in few hours on my way to VA hope tomorrow morning to bust a flock

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
corning hopefully means no fall season in nc. i just dont see how the population could stand the killing that would occur.

cynical minds like mine suspect there is already too many busted cause they like deer corn.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got gobblers last week and this week strutting with hens. Might be able to get one fired up like spring time

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
hope to on our lease in VA also..while.deer hunting.

May target them later season. Have there roost sight penned down pretty well

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
VA's season is pretty smart. They take the turkeys down for awhile during the peak of deer season. then let you kill one on Thanksgiving then open back up in december.

that was the basis for my comment about the turkeys taking a back seat, the season goes out.:) you cant legally kill them.

i'm know that hal knows that. others may have not.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Actually oldest school the opening week of ML season is open for deer and turkey and both can be killed with ML and that starts this Sat and is one of the most hunted weeks in Sw Va only 2nd to Thanksgiving week and to me its better deer hunting than Thanksgiving because pre rut is going good after that start getting some lock down. Then ML comes back in later after rifle goes out and again can kill both deer and turkey so add that all in with getting to kill one on Thanksgiving and there is more than ample opportunity to take deer and turkey at same time during peak deer season. Man talking about this makes me miss home I used to and still do sometimes hunt early for deer and get bored pretty quick then put ML away and grab the 870 and my vest and chase birds till about 230 then go back to ML. I myself have no desire to shoot a turkey with Ml or high power rifle while deer hunting but many do and its perfectly legal I like the game and chase to much

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Went out today and hunted hard all morning, but was unable to find anything. Found a nice place to sit down and eat lunch, and decided to stretch out and take a nap. Dozed off a little, and laid around for about an hour or so, and called every now and then.

About 1:40, immediately after a lost yelp series on the box, I heard a single note yelp in response. It was the first turkey sound I'd heard all day. I sat up, whirled around to face the sound, and fumbled for my mouth call. Before I could get a hold of it, I saw the turkey standing by the edge of a swamp, with the body posture of "come on if you want company, but I ain't coming no closer." So, I put the bead on her and let 'em go.

IMG_3171_zps5w1o2vhi.jpg

IMG_3175_zpsge3brcy6.jpg

She'd been feeding in the willow oaks...
IMG_3182_zpsu5cer1dx.jpg