Young Man Afraid Of His Horses

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
430 AM wake up. And, its hard to be unhappy with this level of rust.

kG2RpBj.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Heat, water and ion exchange.....brown to black.

Ready for carding off the fluff

Ot2sS3p.jpg

Second rust looks fantastic, sauce it up with pilkingtons and back in the damp box till 5 PM.

sVXWcQY.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
A quick look. Finishing up a brass pinch nut for the ejector rod housing and need to shorten the brass grip screw a touch. The black got as black as it could in 4 passes, just wouldn't rust more, especially the barrel, so rather than keep building and knocking off the same for no additional color, I stopped the rust and went to oil and assembly. Still fiddling with the grips. If I were to do anything different with this project, it'd be to put on wood grips. I'd loose some of the theme but the urethane is so funky to work with and soft. It was a compromise getting this pattern grip to fit what with moving the grip screw hole as much as I could but not outside the hub of the wheel....etc. We'll see how it holds up. The grips kind of tell me a story with their carving but also irritate me with their fit and finish. Both adding and detracting from the project.

More pics later with some better light and after final tweaking of brass, etc. (9mm cylinder is already fitted and ready....its not rust blued though as the original ruger blue was just perfect and not purple, so I left it as is.)

YMarXm5.jpg

XViWuek.jpg

zZFNmmh.jpg

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Like it all Rich. A unique and beautiful piece. You got serious skills and it is a shame you can't get paid what they are worth. You would be a much richer Rich.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks. This one was a struggle to stay motivated. I think I've done all I could want with the type now. If I do another BH it needs to be a revolving carbine and a no lathe barrel in 357\44 baine and Davis. For now, I'm hoping to get the long hammerli revolver running and then switch to muzzleloaders for a bit.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Here we go. Grip screw is right length and looks like it'll stay tight....ERH screw shortened and polished and its all in a light coat of RIG. Ready for some sweaty palms and holster wear on all the high spots. Seems like I should have it loaded with shot and go out lookin for legless lizards in the back yard.

cJZ6qi6.jpg

UhbzQrq.jpg

vlUwxEh.jpg

S0wsFYW.jpg

hseoa5l.jpg

xpJuNjt.jpg

ZXgr6P3.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's a unique piece for sure. Kinda reminds me of those lever action rifles with all the brass tacks and silver conchos...