Best rig for low tide flounder from the surf

mattharris0414

Hello guys, going to topsail next week to do some surf fishing. What is the best rig for some flatties in the surf on low tide? I have used a carolina rig with live minnows before with pretty good luck but i have heard about a float rig that people swear by.... anyone used a type of float rig for flouder? And tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

chuck34

Button Buck
Carolina rig is very commonly used. A light jig on light tackle with Gulp can be effective. Look up "Best Flounder Rig" on YouTube to see a two hook rig that is also effective. Look up Jimmy Price on YouTube. Finally, check out John Skinner Fishing on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darenative

Twelve Pointer
A homemade 2 hook bottom rig made from 30 pound mono, kahle hooks, and a flat weight in the 3/4 oz range works better than most other options. Fished with a slow steady retrieve in a slough with strips of squid, flounder belly, or whole finger mullet as bait. Fish the whole slough. then move to the next one and repeat the process.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I use a version of a fish finder rig, live finger mullet or strips of whiting. Flounder like a lil motion in the fall so work it kind of slow towards you. When one hits just make sure to give it time to eat the bait.

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
I have tried the float rig in the surf and not a big fan of it, current and breaking waves often tangled the float rig up. Had more success with float rigs in backwater channels and canals. Carolina rig or fish finder rig have been more successful for me in the surf when targeting flatties.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Red jig head, weight depending on conditions, but enough to maintain contact with the bottom, and a white or chartreuse gulp grub or swimming mullet, 4".

No worries on keeping up with bait while trying to cover ground on the beach.

Ive murdered the flounder on the beach with this set up. You'll pick up the occasional speck, gray trout, puppy drum and blues, not to mention a million lizard fish. It gets expensive, but I'm a firm believer that the gulp products just have it.

I normally just bounce the bottom with them, occasionally hopping or switching it up. Pause, twitch, keep mixing it up until you get bit.

Watch the beach structure. One cast to a spot 250yds down the beach that you don't really want to walk to, that has the right structure, is 1000x better than fan casting 5x over the wrong spot.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A silver Mirrolure 52M fished slowly in the wash (try to keep it suspended) is an excellent flounder bait if you want to use artificials. Don't cast it far. People frequently approach to ask me what I am catching them on.

HuntinCop

Twelve Pointer
Silver spoon with a mud minnow hooked through the lips as a trailer....slow roll it in and have the Yeti ready!!!