How not to continually shoot geese.

Aythya

Eight Pointer
Shooting the heck out of a roosting area on opening day, one that has held 200-600 birds in the past is not the way to have a month of continuous shooting. Especially when the birds stage a quarter to half mile away for a couple hours before end of shooting hours.

You know who you are.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
If they had permission and within the law, why not?

Yeah I agree it's probably not the best thing to do but it happens.
I know guys who intentionally shoot roosts because it's the easiest way to run'em off. Maybe that was the case?

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
In resident season, everything is fair game in my opinion. Some people actually want them gone and not let them just continue hanging around.

Aythya

Eight Pointer
Gee, and all this time I thought the goal of the resident season was to kill as many as possible, not "run them off" . All these guys will do is run them off or condition them to come in well after legal, both of which equals fewer birds killed.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
It sounds like they had a good opening day goose shoot. If I were there, and they kept coming in, and I was still below my limit, I'd keep shooting to.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Gee, and all this time I thought the goal of the resident season was to kill as many as possible, not "run them off" . All these guys will do is run them off or condition them to come in well after legal, both of which equals fewer birds killed.

I see your point but at the same time, if the landowner is tired of them, dead and gone equals the same result.

Last edited:

Mathews Archer

Six Pointer
Shooting the heck out of a roosting area on opening day, one that has held 200-600 birds in the past is not the way to have a month of continuous shooting. Especially when the birds stage a quarter to half mile away for a couple hours before end of shooting hours.

You know who you are.

Every party has a pooper thats why we invited you........:D:wave: