Careful with your dog for the opener ...

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Just a reminder to pay careful attention to your best friend this Saturday. It doesn't take long for a dog to overheat in the September sun. Heat exhaustion and stroke can have terrible outcomes but are preventable by just using good judgment and proper planning. Here's a few things I'd recommend, please feel free to add others.

* Make sure your dog has been properly conditioned over the summer. Opening day is not the time to have Fido out of the house or pen for the first time
in awhile.

* Hunt in the morning if possible when it's much cooler than in the afternoon.

* Seek shade! You must keep him/her out of the direct sun. Use the natural flora, an umbrella/stand, or even one of those pop up canopies. They work.

* Keep your dog hydrated. Let him have free access to the water bowl.

* Hunt where air is moving around him, either naturally or can provide with a 12 volt fan.

* Keep your dog under total control and limit continuous retrieves. They can heat up very quickly.

* Ponds are nice to have but swimming in stagnant, shallow hot water won't help that much other than to get him wet.

* Watch your dog CLOSELY. Excessive panting, squinting eyes, engorged tongue ... all are symptoms of getting too hot. Stop and cool down before
continuing.

* If a dog overheats, water/wet him down and get as much air on him as possible! Do not put him in ice water, that will cause the blood vessels
near the skin to constrict and significantly inhibit his ability to dissipate heat and makes the situation even worse. Get to a Vet asap when in doubt.

Above all, just use good common sense. A high drive dog doesn't know when to stop and will keep going until it drops out. It's our responsibility to put their safety and well being above anything else. Hope everyone has a safe and fun hunt.

*Disclaimer. I'm not a Veterinarian. Take all info for what it is worth as it's my opinion only.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the tips! It's funny my dog can run next to my bike longer than I can ride it but gets winded after retrieving for 15-20 minutes. heh Using his brain really saps his energy.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
High of 79 Saturday at my place wooohoo

I think we are to be around 83 here. Great change from what we've been experiencing but as you know labman63, working your dog even in those temps still mandates close scrutiny of your buddy. So all again, please be cognizant of what is going on. :cool:

Last edited:

labman63

Ten Pointer
Been training(and sweating like a pig) everyday,mine are in shape but you still got to watch them. I'm tired of sweating ....come on fall!

straightline

Ten Pointer
Just a FYI, don't give them too much water. Retrieving with a belly full of water is gt waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk