Pay lake carp

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Ok so I've had an itch to do this again. Years ago I carp fished and normally broke even. Win some loose some. I've went three times this past month and all I've done is donated. Anybody got any tips on what to do to catch a dang carp? I'm getting plenty of line bumpers but not many taking the bait. I'm a firm believer it's mostly what you put on your pop or pickup bait but I'll be daggum if I can figure them out.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ok so I've had an itch to do this again. Years ago I carp fished and normally broke even. Win some loose some. I've went three times this past month and all I've done is donated. Anybody got any tips on what to do to catch a dang carp? I'm getting plenty of line bumpers but not many taking the bait. I'm a firm believer it's mostly what you put on your pop or pickup bait but I'll be daggum if I can figure them out.
I never cared for it but had friends that used to eat sleep and drink it when they weren't hunting. There were 3 lakes fairly close here and they used to hit them on different nights.

This is what I picked up from just being a casual observer. It seems like the fish will get used to/prefer a certain type of flavor/bait in those lakes and what works best on one lake might not be worth a hoot on one 5 miles down the road.

I know those guys guard those recipes like Fort Knox. LOL

Last edited:

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
I use a POPs cereal and a few kernels of corn for my pick up bait. And mostly grits for the dough ball. If its an hourly tournament, use the strongest grape flavor you can find. Gets more bites than any flavor I have used, but has Never produced many big fish.

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i did it as a kid for a couple of summers and loved it.

If i did it again i would imitate the euro and chicago guys and their set ups. carping in britain is past any passion for fish that i have ever seen.

their methods and baits would kill them over here.

In a nut shell they use small weights and hooks light lines, very small 'doughballs" and long rods that they can cast a mile with, stuff like that.

A google search will reveal something gameland that you should be able to use to your advantage. check out carp "boilies." if it is a secret recipe you are after you'll be set.

Good Luck.

That donating crap is for the birds.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
i did it as a kid for a couple of summers and loved it.

If i did it again i would imitate the euro and chicago guys and their set ups. carping in britain is past any passion for fish that i have ever seen.

their methods and baits would kill them over here.

In a nut shell they use small weights and hooks light lines, very small 'doughballs" and long rods that they can cast a mile with, stuff like that.

A google search will reveal something gameland that you should be able to use to your advantage. check out carp "boilies." if it is a secret recipe you are after you'll be set.

Good Luck.

That donating crap is for the birds.

I have been reading about those boilies and almost made some the other week but didn't get around to it. I have been reading about those techniques because as much as I love to fish I'm even more competitive! I would rather tournament fish for bass or (carp right now) than just fish for fun anyway! If I'm not in the money or not even close I leave the lake all twisted up! Haha. I've always said fishing is in no relaxing for me.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have been reading about those boilies and almost made some the other week but didn't get around to it. I have been reading about those techniques because as much as I love to fish I'm even more competitive! I would rather tournament fish for bass or (carp right now) than just fish for fun anyway! If I'm not in the money or not even close I leave the lake all twisted up! Haha. I've always said fishing is in no relaxing for me.

One of NC's best bass tournament anglers (Bill Noah) went the carp route several years back and loves it.

as good as he could not tell the truth on the bass i would love to hear him discuss carp dough recipes. :)

I still leave the lake all twisted up gameland money or no if I havent caught any.

That is one positive in tournament fishing; sometimes a few fish are worth a whole lot.

Good Luck with your carp.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
One of NC's best bass tournament anglers (Bill Noah) went the carp route several years back and loves it.

as good as he could not tell the truth on the bass i would love to hear him discuss carp dough recipes. :)

I still leave the lake all twisted up gameland money or no if I havent caught any.

That is one positive in tournament fishing; sometimes a few fish are worth a whole lot.

Good Luck with your carp.

Thanks. Until I get another boat I guess I'm gonna have to get my fix on carp.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Looks like I may have figured something out. Or I just found the school tonight but it's working👍

Edit- was working but turned off like a light switch off

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like I may have figured something out. Or I just found the school tonight but it's working��

Edit- was working but turned off like a light switch off

I always wondered what effect the moon position might have on carp ponds. What time did the bite take off for you friday? mood was overhead about 8:52 on friday.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
I always wondered what effect the moon position might have on carp ponds. What time did the bite take off for you friday? mood was overhead about 8:52 on friday.

I caught fish from 6 until it got dark around 8:30 or 9 Friday. Crazy thing is is that I was one of the only ones around that was catching any. Then when it got dark my bite died and the people on both sides of me started catching fish. I changed baits, changed where I was fishing and only caught one carp after dark. Good thing I won my money in that short amount of time because it was over after dark.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Strawberry Kix and Corn....You can dump some dog food in a few spots early in the day or a day before and then fish those areas.