Ruger LCP

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Question for 41magfan. I just bought an original version. I love the small size and light weight. According to my scales, it's about 10 oz fully loaded. Do you have any recommendations for carry loads? I noticed that it is NOT rated for +P, but the standard rounds I've shot in it were stout enough for me. :)

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Question for 41magfan. I just bought an original version. I love the small size and light weight. According to my scales, it's about 10 oz fully loaded. Do you have any recommendations for carry loads? I noticed that it is NOT rated for +P, but the standard rounds I've shot in it were stout enough for me. :)

There's essentially two schools of thought when it comes to small calibers for personal protection. As it relates to the .380 cartridge particularly, one camp says only hardball (FMJ) will reliably penetrate the magic depth recommended by the FBI's ballistic studies. The other side obviously believes that expanding bullets penetrate adequately.

I've lived long enough to know the motives and politics behind what we have today in terms of modern day ballistic studies (spawned by the FBI Shootout debacle in Miami in 1986) so I don't get too wrapped around the axle with much of what they claim to be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Personally, I carry the 90 gr Speer Gold Dot, but any high quality and/or bonded hollow-point should work just as well. Some examples would include: Hornady XTP, Winchester PDX1 or Ranger, or Federal's Hydra-Shok or HST load. If you choose to carry a FMJ bullet, any factory load from one of the major players (Federal, CCI-Speer, GECO, etc) should suffice.

Bullet placement - especially with small calibers - usually matters more than the type of bullet your using and reliability trumps everything, so make sure they work 100% of the time in your pistol. My LCP's have gobbled up everything I've fed them but that has to be verified independently.

I can't remember where the saying originated, but someone once opined, "If you have to shoot, shoot as well and as often as necessary."

That pretty much sums up my mindset, regardless of the hardware I might be using on any particular day.

Hope that was helpful ......

Last edited:

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There's essentially two schools of thought when it comes to small calibers for personal protection. As it relates to the .380 cartridge particularly, one camp says only hardball (FMJ) will reliably penetrate the magic depth recommended by the FBI's ballistic studies. The other side obviously believes that expanding bullets penetrate adequately.

I've lived long enough to know the motives and politics behind what we have today in terms of modern day ballistic studies (the FBI Shootout debacle in Miami in 1986) so I don't get too wrapped around the axle with much of what they claim to be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Personally, I carry the 90 gr Speer Gold Dot, but any high quality and/or bonded hollow-point should work just as well. Some examples would include: Hornady XTP, Winchester PDX1 or Ranger, or Federal's Hydra-Shok or HST load. If you choose to carry a FMJ bullet, any factory load from one of the major players (Federal, CCI-Speer, GECO, etc) should suffice.

Bullet placement - especially with small calibers - usually matters more than the type of bullet your using and reliability trumps everything, so make sure they work 100% of the time in your pistol. My LCP's have gobbled up everything I've fed them but that has to be verified independently.

I can't remember where the saying originated, but someone once opined, "If you have to shoot, shoot as well and as often as necessary."

That pretty much sums up my mindset, regardless of the hardware I might be using on any particular day.

Hope that was helpful ......

Very helpful. Thank you, Sir!

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had a chance to run a quick 60 rounds or so through a brand new LCP II this past Sunday. It was overcast, cold and I was in a hurry ..... that's my alibi, my story and I'm sticking to it.

Like the regular model LCP, the little gun is very capable if you do your part. If you lean on the trigger too much or stray from your front sight focus, you'll have errant hits just like I did.

The head shots (12 rounds) were shot quickly at 5 yards, and the CM hits were part of a simple "walk-back" drill where I fired 6 rounds at the 3, 5, 7, 10 & 15 yard line - 30 rounds total. As you can see, the wheels came of at the 15 yard line (rounds circled in black) but don't blame the pistol, it was the monkey jerking the trigger.

Overall, I can see where many folks will like the shorter trigger travel and the sights are a tad better than the standard model LCP without the snag factor present on the "Custom" model. The grip enhancements didn't push any of my buttons but that's a subjective thing, too.

I put 2 drops of oil on the slide rails and shot it right out of the box - no malfunctions of any kind. Not that I expected any, to be quite honest.

Last edited:

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looks fine to me. Thanks for sharing.

I picked up an original LCP a couple of weeks ago, but there must be something wrong with it. It doesn't shoot like yours. :D

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
"Bullet placement - especially with small calibers - usually matters more than the type of bullet your using and reliability trumps everything, so make sure they work 100% of the time in your pistol. My LCP's have gobbled up everything I've fed them but that has to be verified independently."

Roger that! Great advice and that is why I have a lasers on all my carriers.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
After zeroing two scopes at the range today, I had a few minutes and a box of ammo to warm up one of my LCP's. These little 9 oz pistols continue to amaze me in their reliability and shootability. At less than $200 a pop these days, there's no reason NOT to have one of these in your pocket ALL the time.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
After zeroing two scopes at the range today, I had a few minutes and a box of ammo to warm up one of my LCP's. These little 9 oz pistols continue to amaze me in their reliability and shootability. At less than $200 a pop these days, there's no reason NOT to have one of these in your pocket ALL the time.

I have to agree with you. When they dropped the price on these pistols I snagged three more. If I'm not carrying my XDs I'll usually just slide one of these in my pocket. I've been a fan of these since day one.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I bought one a few years ago and for what it is it's pretty accurate.
I have only put 20rds through it but it's a good carry gun.

sent from...... Tapatalk

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Been thinking about something smaller for this time of year. Now I guess I need to speed up my wants and needs.... :)

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep the LCP is my everyday gun. Carry it all the time. Great for summer, shorts, pocket even back pocket. Always carry in the ruger pocket holster.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Decent price ... I just ordered another one. This is the second time in recent months they've offered them for $179.99 w/free shipping and to be honest, I fully expect them to get just a bit cheaper if the soft market conditions continue. PSA has always given me good service and I've never had anything not ship within a day or two.

As for the little LCP, I'll repeat myself once again: The world would be a much safer place if there were more of these little guns routinely carried in someone's pocket in lieu of leaving that "better" gun locked up at home or left in the car waiting to be stolen by some thug.

If you can't pocket carry an LCP, you just ain't trying very hard. I carry two of 'em 12+ hrs a day - 7 days a week.