Ruger LCP

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I just can't say enough about these little guns. I bought mine a few months ago and it has 100 rounds through it. Although it isn't fun to shoot, I love to shoot it! The Hogue slip on grip is a must. This thing goes everywhere with me. Get one. I paid $225 out the door for mine.

C52

Eight Pointer
I bought one a few months ago. I love mine. I enjoy shooting it. It's fun to shoot even if its not fun to shoot. It's funny how big it makes my sig 239 feel.

Last edited:

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I bought one a few months ago. I love mine. I enjoy shooting it. It's fun to shoot even if its not fun to shoot. It's funny how big it makes my sig 239 feel.
I almost bought the Sig 239, but it's just too big for my pocket. With a Sticky holster, the LCP works great for me.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Agree; hard to beat the convenience of pocket carry with the LCP. The Hogue grip does make a big difference.
I have debated the Galloway SS guide rod and 13lb spring. Read a lot of positive reviews for that swap as well.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I know it's a routine practice in some internet circles, but give some serious thought to increasing the weight of the recoil spring in your LCP. A stronger or lighter recoil spring may alter the perception of the stored energy created by recoil forces in various ways, but the same amount of energy is still present and must be absorbed by the same mass.

I can't recall ever encountering a pistol that needed to be sprung differently - right out of the box - with standard pressure ammunition. Since the LCP isn't rated for +P ammo, the first question to ask and answer is why an increase in spring weight might be necessary. If the gun isn't functioning reliably with standard pressure ammo, it isn't likely due to the recoil spring weight. If it's functioning fine, why might it need to be changed? But setting that aside, I think it speaks well of the LCP's design that it will tolerate a 44% increase in recoil coil strength (9lbs vs 13 lbs) and still function at all. Do that to most pistols and the reliability factor goes in the toilet.

Let me put that into some relative context: Even a 2 or 3 lb increase in recoil spring weight will make extraction and ejection sketchy in most of my Glocks, and that's only a 10-15% increase in spring weight. A 25% increase would cause the pistol to routinely malfunction with standard pressure ammunition. A 44% increase in spring weight would likely prevent the pistol from working at all.

The recoil spring weight in all pistols is spec'd for a reason, and to arbitrarily change it is flirty with the parameters that effect function. When you factor in variables like a weak or compromised grip, underpowered ammo, inadequate lubrication, a dirty pistol, etc. an over-powered recoil spring could be a disaster looking for a place to happen. The only thing I can think of that might be worse than needing a gun and not having one, is one that malfunctions in the worst of circumstances.

I feel reasonably comfortable in presuming the LCP is sprung properly from the factory and any marketing nonsense about using a stronger spring needs to be viewed with the laws of physics in mind.

Last edited:

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Here's just one example of why the little LCP doesn't have to take a back seat to any handgun used for personal protection.

This shooting drill is called Dot Torture, and it involves 50 rounds that are fired on a target you can download and print on a standard 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.

Here's a link to download the target: http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

This drill is about mastering the fundamentals and no matter what your level of skill, it will provide you with a challenge. The easiest way to determine your level of proficiency is to start close - 2 or 3 yards. When you can shoot it clean without any misses, you can then move the target back to 4 yards, then 5 yards, then 7 yards etc. If you're feeling confident or want to increase the difficulty, you can also impose some time limits on each stage.

I can't think of a better drill to develop your shooting fundamentals when time and range space is limited. Print out a target and give it a go the next time you have 50 rounds to burn.

Here's my 5 yard target with a standard model LCP.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I was surprised by the accuracy of my LCP. But I never was able to combine accuracy with any kind of speed. No sleep lost, I didn't buy it for shooting competitions :D

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
http://soldiersystems.net/2014/12/06/gunfighter-moment-ken-hackathorn-7/

This little drill test your basic defensive handgun skills. The speed required isn't overly demanding and the accuracy standards are reasonable given we're dealing with personal protection.

The little LCP faired pretty well - all things considered. I shot it three times and my start position was with my hand on the gun as I carry it in my right front pocket. I only failed the time standard of 2.5 sec on one stage with no points deducted for misses outside the scoring area.

The LCP is a very capable little pistol.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I'm gonna side track this for a minute. I don't have an LCP.
I have a Taurus TCP that I couldn't pass up for $160 NIB

After about 200 rounds of break-in, it is my go to summer carry.

For you guys with the LCP, have you made any attempt to rig up a hi viz front sight on the slide?

I used to use glow in the dark white paint on my bear rifle front sights.

Is there a way to rig a tritium post in a way that won't snag with pocket holsters? I can do the milling/tapping.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer

For you guys with the LCP, have you made any attempt to rig up a hi viz front sight on the slide?

Is there a way to rig a tritium post in a way that won't snag with pocket holsters? I can do the milling/tapping.

I doubt it. The sights are extremely low profile on the LCP. It's really more of a " point and shoot" gun, but if I was thinking about trying to improve accuracy, especially in low light, I'd put a laser on it.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

IMO, the LCP is best suited for pocket/ankle/belly-band gun carry, so take my commentary with that in mind. If I'm going to resort to a carrying a holstered gun at the waist, there are better options.

The first generation LCP had just a raised "bump" of metal for a front sight. On that version, I think a simple shotgun bead would be an easy installation and the only prepping would be to machine that little nub off before drilling and tapping a hole. The 2nd Gen LCP has more usable sights but again, a SG bead would work just fine.

This Tritium SG sight is about $35

The "Custom" model LCP has very usable sights, but the snag factor is off the chain. I bought and sold mine almost immediately as it just wasn't conducive to pocket carry. An integral sight proportioned somewhere between the Standard and Custom model would be perfect.

Last edited:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Yeah I pocket carry mine in a Nemesis, and I also agree that it's a weapon to get someone off of or away from you in a clutch.

When cold weather comes, the XDS starts tagging along as my EDC

Just spitballing about sight options. At 7 yards that little gun is always about 3" low and 3" left. Second round of a double tap is always dead on.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good information, 41mag.

I had innovativearms.com modify my first Gen 2 LCP ($150!! IIRC). Sights very similar to the Gen 3. The "snag" factor was real and I sold it. Still carry a Gen 2.

Innovative Arms, at that time, did a lot of work on LCP's. Might be worth a phone call. i.e. front sights.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good information, 41mag.

I had innovativearms.com modify my first Gen 2 LCP ($150!! IIRC). Sights very similar to the Gen 3. The "snag" factor was real and I sold it. Still carry a Gen 2.

Innovative Arms, at that time, did a lot of work on LCP's. Might be worth a phone call. i.e. front sights.

Those custom sights by IA were clearly the impetus for Ruger to offer the Custom model LCP. I'd hate to have an extra $150 in an LCP now that you catch a Custom model on sale for $230 ...... :^(

I don't know if Ruger will sell you one, but the part numbers for the front sight and retaining screw are as follows:

Front Sight # SC03200
Front Sight Screw # SC07600

The only glitch I foresee in trying to add the factory Custom sight to a standard model slide is getting the hole milled properly for the sight tenon. Ruger uses an attachment method exactly like Glock uses with a precision oblong cut that must be of proper a dimension or the front sight won't stay aligned. Unless you're pretty handy with a vertical milling machine, I would think the cost would be prohibitive.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have been in the market for a "Custom" LCP, but you guys have me worried. Is the "snag" factor an issue with a good pocket holster?

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have been in the market for a "Custom" LCP, but you guys have me worried. Is the "snag" factor an issue with a good pocket holster?

Some holsters have clearance, most don't ... you just have to test it on a case by case basis.

Just to be clear, the "snag" factor that was a deal breaker for me personally was the fact that the sights would catch on the pocket lining on the way out, too - not just the holster.

As this photo clearly shows, all three of these pocket holsters lack clearance for any enhanced sights .... they are from L to R a Galco Horsehide, a DeSantis Nemesis & an RKBA.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Some holsters have clearance, most don't ... you just have to test it on a case by case basis.

Just to be clear, the "snag" factor that was a deal breaker for me personally was the fact that the sights would catch on the pocket lining on the way out, too - not just the holster.

As this photo clearly shows, all three of these pocket holsters lack clearance for any enhanced sights .... they are from L to R a Galco Horsehide, a DeSantis Nemesis & an RKBA.

Thank you for the clarification and the picture!

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Great price, but I want to learn more about this: http://carolinagunrunners.net/ruger-lcp-ii/

That's been the rumor for while now and I suspect the entire line of small pistols (LC9, LC 380, etc) will be offered in a striker fired version eventually. I hope the gun retains it's reliability as the original gun's simplicity of design is what makes it work well.

ETA: For use as a pocket gun, I'll personally stick with the long and deliberate trigger design on the original model. It's much safer and I find the trigger pull to be no detriment to any practical accuracy standard.

Last edited:

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That's been the rumor for while now and I suspect the entire line of small pistols (LC9, LC 380, etc) will be offered in a striker fired version eventually. I hope the gun retains it's reliability as the original gun's simplicity of design is what makes it work well.

ETA: For use as a pocket gun, I'll personally stick with the long and deliberate trigger design on the original model. It's much safer and I find the trigger pull to be no detriment to any practical accuracy standard.

Very good points to consider. I posted the LCP II link because I wanted to see your thoughts on it.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Very good points to consider. I posted the LCP II link because I wanted to see your thoughts on it.

From what I can tell - after reading all the official introductions - the trigger is a "single-action" design and not striker-fired.

If that's indeed the case, I suspect they've just repositioned the hammer's reset point a bit farther back (compared to the original design) and they're relying on the hinged trigger safety to make the gun "safe". If that assumption is correct, reliability should not be affected by the change but I certainly wouldn't utilize that trigger system for pocket carry.

Personally, I'll stick with the original design, but choices are always a good thing and I'm sure the changes will be viewed as a benefit by many.

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ill say they had a good design and improved it with the pro version. That was the end in my opinion.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Here's a comparison pic of the two guns showing the slight difference in size. For the recoil sensitive, the added girth will help with control and those that haven't mastered pulling a trigger will find the updated design an improvement as well.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We just finished the Firearms block of instruction this week in BLET and just for fun I took a place on the line with the students and shot the Day & Night qualification COF with my little LCP, drawing from my pocket.

Both courses require 50 rounds to be fired with the Day course going back to 25 yards and the Night course going back to just 15 yards. While neither COF offers much of a challenge with a service pistol, the Night course does require shooting a stage in total darkness and another with just a flashlight, so that does become an arduous task with a little pocket pistol with minimal sights.

My Day score was 98% and my Night score was 99.2%.