Church History

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This is for the benefit of anyone following this thread and it's not directed towards seminole or badlands:

Matthew 7:13-14 has absolutely nothing to do with worship or salvation. Those passages address "life" in the physical body ... health, wholeness, peace of mind, etc.

v 13 .... Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction (loss of well-being), and many there be which go in thereat: 14. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life (your "physical" life), and only a few find it.

So what is Jesus saying? If you want to experience "life" more abundantly, you must tap into the source of "life" which is His unmerited favor.

Verse 21 is simply a warning that just because someone claims to be a Christian and does certain works "in the name" of Jesus, it doesn't make them the genuine article.

seminolewind

:cool: Haha. I honestly can't wrap my head around Calvinism at all. The idea of following theological tradition doesn't sit well with me.

Your inability to grasp it doesn't make it wrong, it only reveals your weakness. 😂

seminolewind

This is for the benefit of anyone following this thread and it's not directed towards seminole or badlands:

Matthew 7:13-14 has absolutely nothing to do with worship or salvation. Those passages address "life" in the physical body ... health, wholeness, peace of mind, etc.

v 13 .... Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction (loss of well-being), and many there be which go in thereat: 14. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life (your "physical" life), and only a few find it.

So what is Jesus saying? If you want to experience "life" more abundantly, you must tap into the source of "life" which is His unmerited favor.

Verse 21 is simply a warning that just because someone claims to be a Christian and does certain works "in the name" of Jesus, it doesn't make them the genuine article.

Glad ya chimed in. Had a dif response but after more closely reading your post I found you addressed my comment.

Last edited:

seminolewind

If you have questions about Mathew 7:13 (or other topics) please meet w your Pastor for their interpretation and meaning.... Relying on Internet keyboard jockeys (like me and others) may not help w your understanding and/or growing in the Lord!!!!!

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
If you have questions about Mathew 7:13 (or other topics) please meet w your Pastor for their interpretation and meaning.... Relying on Internet keyboard jockeys (like me and others) may not help w your understanding and/or growing in the Lord!!!!!

What does one do if their pastor does not provide a satisfactory explanation? I ask because I have heard that complaint from a lot of people.

seminolewind

What does one do if their pastor does not provide a satisfactory explanation? I ask because I have heard that complaint from a lot of people.

You mean people came to you for advice and they got an unsatisfactory explanation? Well I believe it. Haha

Sad but true problem many churches have today, but at least gives folks a general direction to work in. Solving wout the help of a trained Pastor makes it harder for sure. Of course certain assumptions apply like you belong to a recognized mainstream denomination, etc.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
You mean people came to you for advice and they got an unsatisfactory explanation? Well I believe it. Haha

Sad but true problem many churches have today, but at least gives folks a general direction to work in. Solving wout the help of a trained Pastor makes it harder for sure. Of course certain assumptions apply like you belong to a recognized mainstream denomination, etc.

Not hardly. I am not a pastor.

seminolewind

Apostate. Someone who abandons a religious principle. Synonyms are dissenter, backslider, heretic, etc.

Principle. A Christian shall not bear false witness. Someone found to bear false witness is abandoning a religious principle. Thus, they would be in apostasy.

seminolewind

But if I were, would that be a bad thing? Only asking as Protestants sometimes view being Catholic worse than being Mormon. (No offense intended to Catholics or Mormons!)