Big Bass On a Hot Morning.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I have 2 days off(Today and Tomorrow) so I had planned to hit up a few spots today and tomorrow maybe do a smallie float. Got on the water this am at 7 , and lasted until right at 9. Man is was hot at 9am! Caught maybe 15 crappie and 2 cats. Most of the Crappie were small but several were decent. The smallest crappie I caught had eyes bigger than its mouth:eek:. This little sucker hit a 1/2 oz spot.

DSCF4063.jpg

I also caught 2 catfish, 1 that was maybe a 1 1/2 lbs and another that may have went 4. The catfish hit an acid rain grub as well as most of the crappie.

I was thinking about leaving and was casting one of my last casts and BAM! Hard puller that stayed deep and strong. Really felt like a catfish as this fish never came up till the end and was digging deep. When I first got a look at this fish I was like :eek:. I got the fish in and it weighed 3.54 on the scale. I was like thinking like there is not way this fish is not 7 or more. re zeroed the scale and it said 3.54. What? Then I looked at it and it was on Kilograms! Took a shot of the fish and released it. Then did the conversion and it was 7.8 lbs. Sorry guys, no smile as a fish has to weigh 8 plus for that.

7.8 lb bass 72516.jpg
DSCF4065.jpg

Water Temp - 84 degrees
Air temp - 84 degrees
Reel- Shimano Citica
Rod - Shimano Compre 6'6'' MH
Line - 12 lb Stren
Lures Used Today - 1/2 oz Spot, Kalins Acid Rain Grub, Monks 1/16 oz Chartreuse head
County- Alamance

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
if you go on the smallie trip if it is on the new river let me know how you do.

i be heading that way this week. wondering about the shape the river is in.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Well I'd say a storm or 2 would change it in a hurry, maybe even knock some of that aggravating moss out of it;)

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Just talked to a guy in Tractor Supply yesterday and he was going trout fishing/camping on the New. Been going every weekend and said the crowds were light. He said that alot of smallies were holed-up in the lower river looking for colder water [who could blame them].
Fontana is calling me though.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Just talked to a guy in Tractor Supply yesterday and he was going trout fishing/camping on the New. Been going every weekend and said the crowds were light. He said that alot of smallies were holed-up in the lower river looking for colder water [who could blame them].
Fontana is calling me though.

light crowds sounds great. that may be because of 'light" fish.

HuntinCop

Twelve Pointer
If you like that Rattletrap you need to try out the metal Sonar blade baits....just don't use the cheap swivel that comes factory on it. I've had big bass break them in half. These lures smoke the Rattletrap lures in my opinion...and I love Rattletraps

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
If you like that Rattletrap you need to try out the metal Sonar blade baits....just don't use the cheap swivel that comes factory on it. I've had big bass break them in half. These lures smoke the Rattletrap lures in my opinion...and I love Rattletraps

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
HC- tell me about your blade bait (sonar) applications. we use rattletrap type baits alot to exploit wind or bait bites.

what are the circumstances when you find them productive?

HuntinCop

Twelve Pointer
HC- tell me about your blade bait (sonar) applications. we use rattletrap type baits alot to exploit wind or bait bites.

what are the circumstances when you find them productive?

You can throw them a mile! It has 3 tie locations to determine how shallow or deep you want to run it. I would take the stock swivel off and tie a heavy duty one on or not use one at all. They do vibrate better with one on. I like to tie to the middle hole and burn it fast in shallow water. I've had it actually turn the bite on when it was dead. When they hit it, it will come to a stand still, especially when it's a nice one! I have caught and lost some monsters on these lures. I prefer the chartreuse colors with shiny gold, followed by the pinks, and then blue colored ones.