New purchase ….New farm!!

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Like most on here my life has been consumed with hunting and trying to gain access to the best land I could. Never being fully satisfied with the land I could come up with to lease, my wife and I made the decision to try to save money for a farm. After a full commitment to making this happen Megan and I finally reached a point where we could start looking at hunting farms with the knowledge if we found a farm we liked we had the finances in place to move forward. Looking for a farm was at times the most disheartening experiences I have ever went through. I had no location parameters, And other than knowing going into it what we could afford and what line we would not cross on money our decision would be made completely on hunting and enjoyment. Knowing our budget wouldn't buy a turn key deer farm I focused on buying a farm with larger farms around it, In an area where 140" are the locals "good deer", Within and 8hr one way drive, and We wanted a farm that we enjoyed being on the land.

This is what we came up with! 125 ac of Western Kentucky solid Timbered nearly all white oak timber, a centered ceder ridge, 3 year round creeks (blue lines) 1 of which being a eastern property boundary(red lines), Farm has a good existing road system (white lines) I have installed 5 acres of food plots(green blocks).

Last edited:

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor

neighbors… closest house is the farmer on other side of these guys

Megan love all the rock jut outs elevation is no more than 100 ft across total farm just looks more in pictures

water fall on middle creek

never hurts to find these when you look into a property

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
After purchase we started out with some minerals and work

this guy helped make the Plot installs much easier (except on the wallet)

This location will be a lean to shed at the property for stand and equipment storage

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
2 Acre bean plot

Beans are growing looking a lot better now, been getting rain hope it hold out

another view of plot

Bobcat machine with 4' plot master, this thing has been a life saver so far it also has a 7' mower deck that goes on front

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Our first time checking cams 2 weeks after signing papers, Don't mind saying this pic means the world to me……..

never knew i'd give one of these a second thought but he even gets a pic on the post!!

Small 1/2 ac clover plot, currently planted in buckwheat.

planted couple bradford and asian pear trees just to "do" something on our 1st trip there

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
found this the day I went to look at the farm, found couple more since then.

this one jumped in a month 5/26-6/26 hope he continues it

making a nice 8

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Momma and the kid

House lot we bought within walking distance to farm. Has all utilities there so we are excited about this also!

Last edited:

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
To anyone who reads this and thinks you can't do this. I promise you can. It all boils down to priorities and goals and working your :donk:donk:donk off for what you want, while sacrificing to get there!! Good luck to each of you this year, this forum has been a lot of fun for me over the years and I just wanted to share this with ya'll!

derekorr1986

Six Pointer
Congrats to you and your wife. My wife and I had just gone through the same process last year. Nothing is more rewarding than having your own farm and turning it into whatever you've dreamed about. Make sure you take plenty of pictures along the way to look back on.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Awesome...you living my dream! I'm getting there though...one of these days. How did you find your place? I look on landwatch all the time in Kent. and Ohio....just window shopping right now.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I looked at multiple Web search sites.
Lands of America
Landwatch
Land and Farm
Whitetail Properties <consistently overpriced>
Then search the area local realtors this was a lot of land that wasn't on Web searches.
Start with your hard cap dollar amount and be honest with it. No since wasting time looking at a farm you can't buy. If you are going to finace get your loan in order 1st. Know your approve amount. Good farms won't last and if you are fumbling around trying to get it worked out you'll miss out. Then go look at farms, what you start with in your ideas will change as you go through the process.
We went to look at another Farm and the seller said he had a 2nd Farm we might like. And We did alot!!!

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Congrats Travis. If you need a weekend partner let me know. I'll tag along. Actually hoping to hunt Kentucky this fall. Wife works three tobacco station in Kentucky. I get invited every year just never worked out.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats, there is nothing like owning your own land, something nobody can take away from you...

Enjoy!!!

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I looked at multiple Web search sites.
Lands of America
Landwatch
Land and Farm
Whitetail Properties <consistently overpriced>
Then search the area local realtors this was a lot of land that wasn't on Web searches.
Start with your hard cap dollar amount and be honest with it. No since wasting time looking at a farm you can't buy. If you are going to finace get your loan in order 1st. Know your approve amount. Good farms won't last and if you are fumbling around trying to get it worked out you'll miss out. Then go look at farms, what you start with in your ideas will change as you go through the process.
We went to look at another Farm and the seller said he had a 2nd Farm we might like. And We did alot!!!

Thanks. My number one fear factor is knowing who my neighbors are going to be and how much trouble I might have with trespassing as a absent landowner. Hard to determine prior to purchase.

derekorr1986

Six Pointer
Awesome...you living my dream! I'm getting there though...one of these days. How did you find your place? I look on landwatch all the time in Kent. and Ohio....just window shopping right now.

Talk to local foresters in your area or wherever you are looking. They will know of some tracts available as well.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats!!!
Looks like y'all have put in alot of work so far.

Well deserved and I hope I see some pics of a few nice bucks y'all kill this fall.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks. My number one fear factor is knowing who my neighbors are going to be and how much trouble I might have with trespassing as a absent landowner. Hard to determine prior to purchase.
I went and talked with the local land owners, luckily they are cattle farmers and do not hunt but they also do not allow hunting on the boarding farms due to the cattle. They each have other land that their families hunt. I finally got in touch with the 3rd neighbor who also lives away from the area, he invited me over and seams to be good guy, says he just wants to hunt in piece, my kind of guy!
Easy to get peoples information from GIS and your computer 5minutes I can find out pretty much anything on most people

NC Deer Hunter

Six Pointer
Congrats. Been bowhunting KY for a few years. This year ill be hunting Hardin County opening week of rifle. Congrats again on the property.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk