Anyone ever buy a boat from Cabela's?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Been in talks with several places and Cabela's on the open offer was more than 750 less than all the others for Boat motor trailer in the 15k range.
Does not sound like they charge for all the extras like Ed's did.
They charge for fuel to fire the motor up, oil to put in the motor, 10 fee to place the prop on the motor, fee to mount the motor on the boat, fee to set up a big tiller handle. ......
About 350 in fees and from there ad they charge 600$ to install the big tiller.

Went up last week to look and order a boat or buy what I wanted, they said they are not taking orders for the next 3 to 4 months as they are doing model year change over.
Said they have one in stock and their prices are fixed and they can not do anything with the fees or cost. They says it is what it is.
Yet it was more then the internet-based price they had on line.

Talked to cabelas and they returned a call after calling the manufacturer for both boat and motor.
Got price and said they can order for about a month then they change to 2017 and price could stay the same or go up 2 to 3%.

Funny how all sales people think you will not check on what they say with they push a sale....
Going to Cabelas to work out the deal and maybe a new boat.....

jamesmyers14

Eight Pointer
Yes we bought a Lowe roughneck 1860 sc
3baa36893929aaab1eb5716177b3bfc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LKGRenegade22

Four Pointer
I bought one from bass pro a few months back. Other than dealing with the upgrades I had them install the boat buying process was pretty painless.

Even though I usually shop more at Cabelas I never really looked at their boats. I liked the look of the pro teams with a Mercury over the Lowe or stratos with the yamahas.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I bought one from bass pro a few months back. Other than dealing with the upgrades I had them install the boat buying process was pretty painless.

Even though I usually shop more at Cabelas I never really looked at their boats. I liked the look of the pro teams with a Mercury over the Lowe or stratos with the yamahas.

the lowe im looking at cabelas has a merc, I really like the big tiller...
Dont know if it would just be cheaper to have a SC or cC.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yes we bought a Lowe roughneck 1860 sc
3baa36893929aaab1eb5716177b3bfc3.jpg

Please tell me more.

What package, motor, speed.......

Was looking the 1860 but for 900$ I could get the 2070 so about 2' longer and full 10" wider makes more room. About 16 sf more on the floor.

jamesmyers14

Eight Pointer
Please tell me more.

What package, motor, speed.......

Was looking the 1860 but for 900$ I could get the 2070 so about 2' longer and full 10" wider makes more room. About 16 sf more on the floor.

The 1860 is plenty of room for me I got a trolling motor for the bow and fish finder to. Has the 60hp Mercury and it runs amazing can pull a tube. It's pretty speedy goes like 35-40 all I need . It's side console. Process is pretty easy at cabelas

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The 1860 is plenty of room for me I got a trolling motor for the bow and fish finder to. Has the 60hp Mercury and it runs amazing can pull a tube. It's pretty speedy goes like 35-40 all I need . It's side console. Process is pretty easy at cabelas

What trailer you get cant stand the painted ones looking aluminum or galvanized.
Picture if you can of the trailer

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What trailer you get cant stand the painted ones looking aluminum or galvanized.
Picture if you can of the trailer
Be careful with aluminum with single axle trailers. They are so light when you back them in places with much current depending on the setup there will be a very fine line between getting them in just far enough and them becoming buoyant and floating downstream. That can be a REAL PITA. I had an aluminum trailer on my 1860 and after my second attempt here in the river on a steep ramp I took it back and traded it for a galvanized one.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Good to know.

After if it is safe and works I guess it only holds the boat, no need to waste the extra 600$

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, if you were going to exclusively run it in salt maybe. But the springs and axles are hat goes anyway. If you wash them off good galvanize will last a long time using it in salt.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
That and most the tongue and bolts are all steel Galvanized.
So I guess it comes down to cost and design...

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

What prop and is yours a command thrust ?

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I tell you, I have and 1860 and when you put two adults, a 6 year old and an 7 year old in there to fish, I would love to have an additional 2 feet longer. The 1860 is a great boat, but space disappears quickly with just one or two extra people. For $900, I would call that a no brainer.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer

I am going to have to call a bit of BS on that speed with a 60 HP. I have a Lowe 2070 with a 115 Suzuki and on glass water I can bump 41-42. I know a 90 HP on an 1860 will hit 40-42, but for a 60, I dont think so.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I tell you, I have and 1860 and when you put two adults, a 6 year old and an 7 year old in there to fish, I would love to have an additional 2 feet longer. The 1860 is a great boat, but space disappears quickly with just one or two extra people. For $900, I would call that a no brainer.

That is exactly what sold me on a 20 over a 1860. With 3 people and 300 hundreds decoys, dogs, guns, etc. you run out of space quickly. I feel the width helps my than the length (That is what she said) between the 1860 and 2070. But whatever works.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep the plan is for a 20'.
I was only looking the 1860 as more places had it in stock to get info and numbers.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I am going to have to call a bit of BS on that speed with a 60 HP. I have a Lowe 2070 with a 115 Suzuki and on glass water I can bump 41-42. I know a 90 HP on an 1860 will hit 40-42, but for a 60, I dont think so.

Think it really depends on the load.
If yours has a 115 you have more motor weight and more likely have a larger tank with more built in stuff to add weight.

My old boat was a 1648 with a 30 hp and it did 32 to 33 day in and out with me. That. Was boat motor rods tackle and 6 gal gas or less.

If it comes to light on this boat I bet it will run at about 40 or more as there is no built in stuff, just boat motor and tank with battery.
If I add a few extra trolling motor batteries abd a TM with other gear I bet it drops to 30 33 range.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
Yes the motor adds weight but more than enough to overcome that additional 50 lbs or so. I believe the Suzuki 115 adds around 400 lbs. I imagine the 90 isn't much less given I believe both are four cylinders. With three guys on a mild chop and all our fishing gear, still runs between 36-38, so not much drop. Gets on plane super quick tho and does very well on gas. Much better than my Johnson 40 2 stroke I use to have.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
my 1860 has a four stroke 70 hp Yamaha which weighs the same as the Yamaha 60hp. On glassy water with two batteries a 15 gallon tank and an ice chest it will hit 38.5 with weight distributed correctly and motor trimmed up until just before she is chewing air and starts to porpoise.
With three guys a heavy load of hunting equipment and 12 dozen decoys she still pushes around 33 mph per gps.
It's not the fastest thing on the water but gets me and the family or hunting crew where we want to go.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Gadget, if you have a day next week I'll be happy to give you a ride in my AlumaCraft 1860 w/60 Merc, Command Thrust w/Big tiller. I don't think you're going to care for the 20', too hard for one person to load/unload.
Let me know what day is good and we'll talk and pick a lake.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gadget, if you have a day next week I'll be happy to give you a ride in my AlumaCraft 1860 w/60 Merc, Command Thrust w/Big tiller. I don't think you're going to care for the 20', too hard for one person to load/unload.
Let me know what day is good and we'll talk and pick a lake.
I loaded and unloaded my 24' solo for years, do the same with my 20' now. It is just a simple act of driving it on and off. I have an indicator rod (fiberglass electric fence post) that sticks up right behind the winch and I line up on it and you are good to go.

LKGRenegade22

Four Pointer
As far as what size boat to get that just depends on what you are getting it for and you have to figure that out on your own.

Granted it's not a basic aluminum boat I just bought me a pro team 175 txw. I first wanted the 175 then decided why not hop up to a 190 but finally decided that a 175 was perfect for me. Fits in the garage perfect, easier to maneuver on the river and runs forever on a tank of gas. I also took the money it would have cost to jump up to the 190 and did some sweet upgrades. With the 175 txw and a 75 merc I can hit 40 even on GPS (not the speedo, it says 44-45) with 20 gallons of gas, 3 batteries, 16 gallons in the live well and all my fishing gear. I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
A 20/72 is a whole lot more boat than a 18/60. I'd rather have the 20/72. My SeaArk 20/72 had a 130 Yamaha on it and it was a great boat. 51-52mph in slick water with 2 people. Scary fast to be honest. Loading solo on trailer is easy. Never had a single problem.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Took the plunge and placed an order.

Should be here in about 4 to 6 weeks.
will give me time to get the rest of the gear.

went with a 2070 Lowe Roughneck MV tiller, will have a big tiller 60 hp. Command thrust.

Should work fine for what I need and give me a little room for my Black Labs and some fishing gear.

Now I need to find a starting point for a prop.
After some reading looks like a 12.25 x17 pitch is what was needed. At the shop and also Mercury said I would need to play with it as it calls for anything in the range of 13, 15, 17 or 19.
Dealer was saying there guy said to start with a 21 and work down......

Got a 23 off my old boat and was thinking it would be too much so start with 17 as I think someone on here said 17 was what they had.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Best thing to do in the prop dept is work with the dealer on that if they will. If they have several try what they have then go as big as you can and try what works best then buy a good SS one. You can spend a fortune in props before you get what performs the best on your boat depending on how the boat is set up and load is distributed.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Best thing to do in the prop dept is work with the dealer on that if they will. If they have several try what they have then go as big as you can and try what works best then buy a good SS one. You can spend a fortune in props before you get what performs the best on your boat depending on how the boat is set up and load is distributed.

Yep just a wide range from what Merc thinks and the guys at the shop.

Maybe they have several I can try over the weekend.

They said they would prop it and I can bring back it not correct.
Just dont want 5 trips of carrying the boat back...Just to change the prop.

Easy to do if they will let me.....Changed them for years.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I found the answer to this......

You dont...
Most 5 months.
Got to boat back not long back.
It works better, but slower and the fix caused other problems....

Nothing but problems and slow service and delayed because they did not know what to do and not sure Lowe did also