Spanish/cobia

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone seeing any spanish and cobia around wrightsville beach area? Headed there this weekend and gonna try and fish even with the rain.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Its going to be bumpy, overcast and raining. Not the best conditions to find a Cobia. Spanish has been pretty good but this cold streak make have shut them down. Best luck on the Spanish have been in about 30ft of water. As for a Cobia I would have a pole ready with some live bait and hope you find a bait ball to drop it in if you find one while trolling.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Gotcha, thanks for the info guys. Yeah if it was up to me id be out regardless but my buddy that has the boat doesnt see it the same way as i do

whynot

Spike
I went out late this morning and fished about 2 hours. We trolled for Spanish and caught 7 so pretty slow, anywhere from 30-45ft. There was a lot of boats casting for cobia but no visable bait balls nor did I see anyone hooked up

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
We fished saturday afternoon. Ended up fishin out of hamstead. Trolled for 2 hours and caught 1 spanish and a flounder on a planner w a clark spoon.
7f7c4c4a2044a30621bce10efd6efc01.jpg

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
You caught a flounder trolling clarkspoons??

What size planer and what depth of water? I've never been so lucky to catch a flounder while trolling for spanish but it seems to me like you'd just about have to drag the bottom to get that lucky!

Congrats on a cool catch!!

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah it was a smaller planner and it was right on the bottom as we were coming in. I was shocked and have done it once before. It must have kicked him up and he saw it and hit it.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Those are some nice Spanish workennels. What area did ya catch em and what did u use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I hear ya, we had those fish we caught last night for dinner and man it was good. Those Spanish are good

JD1107

Heading down to moorehead tomorrow afternoon hoping to bring a boat load home!

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
Just got back from Garden City Pier . Caught 25 to 30 Spanish using straw jigs . Only brought home 6 . The rest were too small or the dern sharks got'em .

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
I've never heard of straw jig.

It's a rig tied with 7 gold #2 hooks spaced out on about 40 LB mono . As the hooks are tied on the line place a piece of white or red coffee stirring straw on the shank of the hook. Straw should cover the hook from just below the eye to the bend. A barrel swivel on one end and a 3 oz. weight on the other.

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
Gotcha, how do you fish it?

Most of the time I just drop it down beside the pier and jig it up and down letting it bump the bottom. You can cast it out and bring it back by lifting your rod and dropping the rod back down, reel up the slack then keep doing that till it gets back to the pier. Then jig it up and down as long as you want. If the Spanish are running it can get fast and furious. And crowded!

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
66cdf72b2e3b9bf0d24a040c5360e36d.jpg

Pulled these out from New River Inlet Thurs morning on #0 Clark Spoons in silver/chartruese flash.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Dam y'all gotta take me!! Those are some studs!! Congrats, that's some good eatin