Cobia rules........

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I have no data but I would venture that the recs are in deed responsible for "over harvest" on cobia. Maybe not much else but I feel like cobia for sure. Cobia is the latest cool craze for the recs. Was stripers when they got south, now cobia, though stripers were hit hard by the comms.

buckshot32182

Eight Pointer
I know some of my buddies that are commercial would take two parties of 4/5 out everyday last year. That's 10/12 people times 2 fish/person. 20-30 a day counting captain. There is no way I could catch that many, let alone fish that much. I wish they would up the size. A cobia under 40 inches is tiny. Sorry, but they are.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I mean they might be. I'm skeptical of any date I see and I'm not even going to try to make my own opinion based on observations. In the end I am just not a big fan of a stock being divided among multiple shareholders. Set the number that is sustainable and go with it. There are pitfalls to both methods but in this case its a little different. Commercial seems to be primarily made up of sportfishing operations and not guys targeting cobia to sell. At least its not like red snapper or any other bottomfish.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have no data but I would venture that the recs are in deed responsible for "over harvest" on cobia. Maybe not much else but I feel like cobia for sure. Cobia is the latest cool craze for the recs. Was stripers when they got south, now cobia, though stripers were hit hard by the comms.

you must be wrong because i agree with you. that hasnt happened in awhile.

i get the same thought looking at the dead cobia as i do with the big catfish, it is just like killing a dinosuar. What's the point?

Do they taste that good or is it to justify the expense and ego?

maybe to get them on board you have to kill them?

they look like too much fun to just catch once.

really not arguing, just asking.

i missed my shot this year to catch one. but i sure didnt want to kill one if i caught it.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
you must be wrong because i agree with you. that hasnt happened in awhile.

i get the same thought looking at the dead cobia as i do with the big catfish, it is just like killing a dinosuar. What's the point?

Do they taste that good or is it to justify the expense and ego?

maybe to get them on board you have to kill them?

they look like too much fun to just catch once.

really not arguing, just asking.

i missed my shot this year to catch one. but i sure didnt want to kill one if i caught it.

I take it you have not caught or eaten one?
They are excellent table fare
extremely hard fighters
While not impossible to remove the hook and release a large cobia its not easy task. It is very similar in power and demeanor of a shark of similar size. Virginia just make it illegal to gaff them and dealing with a cobia in a net should be interesting.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I take it you have not caught or eaten one?
They are excellent table fare
extremely hard fighters
While not impossible to remove the hook and release a large cobia its not easy task. It is very similar in power and demeanor of a shark of similar size. Virginia just make it illegal to gaff them and dealing with a cobia in a net should be interesting.

you are correct.
all my assumptions are from afar.
that's why i asked.

so basically if you catch a "big" one you hurt them in the boating process?
unless you net them and no one does that here?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I'm going to say this.... I lump the commercial and charter guys together. I'm not sure how they fall, other than the new cobia rules, with what's considered commercial and rec.

Harvesting to take to a market to sell is commercial IMO and not sure how many of the charters do that. In my head, charter is rec. (I know the new regulations differentiate).

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Getting a cobia in the boat by means other than a gaff is challenging. They thrash around pretty violently especially the big ones. If you have ever caught a shark even a small sand shark you know how powerful they are. Cobia are very close to that. Bringing a citation sized fish (over 40lbs) in the boat is a chaotic event especially on a small boat. A gaff then directly to the cooler or fish box is the best way to go. I'm not saying its impossible to do it other wise but the fish will be beating itself on everything inside the boat then you have to get it out of the net (I doubt you would be able to grab it with your hands and bring it in) take the hook out and try to toss it back.
Like Justin said it has become trendy to catch them and people are after citation fish which means you have to take them to get weighed.

Last edited:

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I would really like to see a 60 lbs Cobia in a net. That would be a sit back and watch this moment for sure.
I have found the best way for me to land the larger fish especially if we are releasing it is with a Boca Grip. They are actually pretty calm in the boat if you dont stick a gaff in them.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Getting a cobia in the boat by means other than a gaff is challenging. They thrash around pretty violently especially the big ones. If you have ever caught a shark even a small sand shark you know how powerful they are. Cobia are very close to that. Bringing a citation sized fish (over 40lbs) in the boat is a chaotic event especially on a small boat. A gaff then directly to the cooler or fish box is the best way to go. I'm not saying its impossible to do it other wise but the fish will be beating itself on everything inside the boat then you have to get it out of the net (I doubt you would be able to grab it with your hands and bring it in) take the hook out and try to toss it back.
Like Justin said it has become trendy to catch them and people are after citation fish which means you have to take them to get weighed.

i hope that last line isnt the reason for the "outrage"."you have to get them weighed"

people get citations all day long on drum without weighing them.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I would really like to see a 60 lbs Cobia in a net. That would be a sit back and watch this moment for sure.
I have found the best way for me to land the larger fish especially if we are releasing it is with a Boca Grip. They are actually pretty calm in the boat if you dont stick a gaff in them.

there you go, problem solved, for strong wristed anglers anyway. :)

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
i hope that last line isnt the reason for the "outrage"."you have to get them weighed"

people get citations all day long on drum without weighing them.

Drum, like billfish, tarpon, barracuda, ect all fall under the release only category when it comes to citations. You just need to verify the length. They could easily change it to be like that for cobia too. I don't think this is the sole or even then biggest driving factor to keep them, tablefare probably is, it is a bragging right.

23mako

Ten Pointer

I have been with a guy who used a large landing net instead of a gaff. The cobia didn't freak out while it was kept in the net but when it hit the deck it started thrashing about.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I net 4-5' nurse sharks in a big net from my parents dock in the keys. With the tide it is sometimes the only way to safely get the hook out. Nurse sharks are pretty darn strong. A cobia is in a whole other league.

skimmer

Six Pointer
People want to have that picture at the dock on the fish board with big fish
People want to make sure they can take their fish over to Chasin Tail's and make the facebook page!!! That's what it's all about right???