So i finally got a varmint rifle

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Ive been wanting to get into varmint and predator hunting for a while, and after TONS of research and much much dreaming, i got the perfect rifle for the job. Before i get into the rifle specifics let me just point out that I truly loath varmints, I mean i hate the things. Gophers, Ground hogs, and Nutria rats; they all just make me wanna go mass rodacidal.

Now for the rifle.

I already have several long range rigs, but a 300WM or my 338 Lapua are just not the right calibers for busting a varmint head. So i needed a rifle that would be suitable but big enough to work double duty for predator hunts as well.

e87d253e0fdf251daefd7ce1f4ebcb87.jpg

Its built off a Spikes Tac lower with a bladetech Match trigger, ambi safety, and a Magpul PRS stock. ( i love the skull)
Barrel is a match grade fluted Criterion made here in the US. Upper receiver is an absolute beast machined from a solid piece of 4140 steel. (Not the average AR)
ba92c58817f5ebefa220d712c57d42fb.jpg
The perfect all round rifle, a 5rd bolt-action .50BMG. Rhino's are varmints right????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks!!! All joking aside, Ive been wanting a Zel Custom T2 since they came out 2 years ago. Finally found one and got it for a steal!!!! Traded a Winchester 1892, and an Ithica 20ga Deerslayer for it strait up. Also got a scope and atlas bipod for it in the deal but i had to drive to Knoxville to pick it up. Not counting gas money ive got about $1200 in a $5000 set up.

(Edited for a few better pics)
e973a84af0ee065d6d2d6d7c5159b84a.jpg
333c95ba3b09f6bc8484754dc0f7db09.jpg
d7697462c0da6782801765d96fc2a065.jpg

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You are ready for the zombie rhino apocalypse now, that's fer dern sure.
I was surprised to see the local Gander Mtn had ammo for that caliber on clearance the last time I went in there, and they had two different brands. I guess it's not as uncommon a round as I once thought.

Easy E

Spike
If you can afford the ammo, kill em" I'd like to see a picture of the damage on a yote for sure when you get it. :)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We're (USA) using them on other sorts of varmints these days.

Enjoy.

these days heck,,,,,,,,,,,,,50 cal sniper rifle has been useful for decades,,,,,,,we had one in my unit in the late 80s,,,,,I used it a lot (most of my team preferred not to pull the trigger on that particular beast),,,,,,that .50 cal barret bolt action single shot was one of the weapons we planned for using to stop the motorcade in the original concept for "retrieving" Noriega,,,,before it turned into a full scale invasion,,,,,,

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
What is that glass sitting on top of it? I don't have a 50 but I've got a 338 LM on the way and wondering what to put on it. We'll have a 1,000 yard range set up this fall and if you bring it down the cost to use the range is free. Well, maybe a round or two. :D

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
What is that glass sitting on top of it? I don't have a 50 but I've got a 338 LM on the way and wondering what to put on it. We'll have a 1,000 yard range set up this fall and if you bring it down the cost to use the range is free. Well, maybe a round or two. :D

Its a leatherwood that came on it, absolute junk though. Ill be taking the 8-25 Mark4 off my 338 lapua and putting it on the 50 unless i can find a deal on a NF

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I know. Heck Carlos Hathcock burped 'em out of a machine gun in Vietnam. :)

the book on him is awesome,,,,,,my favorite weapon that he used in a counter sniper scenario was the 106 recoilless

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Carlos Hathcock might not have the highest body count, or hold records for longest shots, ect, but he was bar none the most badA sniper ive read about or watched documentaries on. Volunteering for suicide missions solo, just so others wouldn't have to do them despite having higher rank; if im not mistaken i recall him taking on an apparent high risk mission solo less than 2 days before he was set to ship home.

richard11989

Me, personally I love my Gamo Whisper With PBA gold pellets. i hit raccoons that come in our backyard. I aim for the head and it puts em down fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Me, personally I love my Gamo Whisper With PBA gold pellets. i hit raccoons that come in our backyard. I aim for the head and it puts em down fine.

My Momma used a broom. That said I think you may have missed the tounge in cheek nature of the thread.