When to put out trail cams/how many?

AWZ1287

This year I am looking to put out some trail cams, being I didn't have much luck last year. I want to gauge what's in the different areas. So I can focus on one or two locations by the time the season starts.
I hunt on a few different gamelands on the south side of Wake County.

When should I be putting the cams out and how many should I get?

Lonewolf

when i had hunting land i put my trail cam out in July to January i only have 2 but the more you have the more you can see start out with as many as you can buy but 2 or 3 should be fine. i like the browning strike force or dark ops.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
If these cameras are going to be placed on game lands, I would buy the cheapest (within reason) camera you can get and leave it out there the shortest period of time.

SM270

Ten Pointer
We run cameras all year long on our private land we run 3 on 100 acres. It becomes fun just to watch what happens all year. But from end if deer season until September we only check them 1 time a month during season we check them as needed.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
If your putting them on gamelands your running a high risk of theft. Right now I have 4 out over mineral sites. I put out minerals at spots where 2 or more highly active trails converge, and are in sight of a stand location. Ill leave my cameras there until travel patterns change then if i have a specific deer to target ill move cams to zero in on his pattern and track him until season starfs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I usually run 2 - 3 cameras year round, but that's on private property. I don't believe I'd risk putting cameras out on gamelands unless like others have said, they're cheap ones that you don't mind losing.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
On my personal property I keep two camera out 24x365, but's not just for the deer. I enjoy seeing what else is out there, including foxes, yotes, rabbits, turkey, bear (one time), dogs, cats, etc. It's cool just to know what goes on in the woods.

pinkfletch

Ten Pointer
I keep one in the back yard that butts up to 200 acres of farmland just to see what comes and goes. I have gotten everything from turtles to people, but no bear and that is what I bought it for after getting my bird feeders torn down by one.

AWZ1287

Yeah I figured that there was a chance of people taking them on public land.
If I have it in one of those bear boxes with a cable lock, do you think it would be safe?

pinkfletch

Ten Pointer
Yeah I figured that there was a chance of people taking them on public land.
If I have it in one of those bear boxes with a cable lock, do you think it would be safe?

Only till they get back with tools....battery powered grinders and recip saws have pretty rendered security a thing of the past.....good camoflage is the best security, that and being well off traveled paths deep in the woods

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I put em up high and most people will never notice em. I like mine at stand height if i think theres a chance of theft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I am currently moving my 10 from the 350ac farm we have been hunting to a new piece. So I will have 10 cameras on 125ac at the new location. 4 are out now and the rest will be out when horns start coming on good. and will stay out for rest of the year… I have good cell service on the new piece so I am going to try out a verizon Go Cam this year.
3) Browning black ops---- new "great picture and video"
2) Covert 8mp black----- 3 yr old "bullet proof for last couple years"
1) Covert 8mp IR---- 4th year real good camera "daytime pictures starting to have red tint"
2) Cuddeback attack IR -----these have been the worst "gone through 9 to get these 2 that work good"
1) Covert code black att----- never had enough service on existing spot to use as a cell cam ---- maybe it'll work now??
1) Primos easy cam ---- $29 w/ shipping gonna try it out
1) Moultrie A5--- worked for years getting a lot of nothing pictures last year

wstober

Button Buck
Been running cameras for about a month and a half now but that was because the property was a new addition. Figured I needed as much data as possible to put together a "picture of activity" before the season. Starting to get some solid leads that may produce this fall.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Leave them out all year with 16MB SD cards. Check them right after squirrel season and again about the beginning of August. I check them every couple of weeks or as needed after that. I have 6 cameras on about 40 acres, may be a little over kill but able to keep the trail intersections under observation.