40 acres to replant

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My mom has more or less turned over management of her properties to me, but she just had 40 acres select cut (about 20% cover left) near Clarkton back in the fall. She did not want to pay to have any of it replanted, so it fall on me to do anything that is done. I can't afford to have someone do it, so again, it's up to me. The land is part of a 180+ acres tract that belongs to my mom and her two brothers and has been in our family for at least 5 generations. Some of it has not been cut in over 100 years. Previously, we didn't have direct access to the land due to a big ditch running along the entire length of the property. When the loggers came in, I had them put a drive way culvert across the ditch. I had the loggers to leave a good mix of hardwoods and pine. My goal is to manage the property for timber as well as wildlife. I'm hoping to manage it in such a manner that family members down the line will want to keep it in the family. So far, I've install a gate, planted 1000 Long leaf pines up front, 1000 loblolly pines behind the long leafs, 25 Sawtooth Oaks in small clusters, 8 apple trees, and 6 persimmon trees. I have several Chinese Chestnut trees that will be coming in the spring, and I just ordered 100 Atlantic White Cedars. I know I won't be able to plant the entire 40 acres before spring greenup, but I figure whatever I can do is better than nothing.

Now that we have direct access, I hope to use it for hunting. I'm planning on leaving a small patch near the middle as open land, and plant clover on it. It is surrounded by the fruit trees. There is also a very large beaver pond on the back side, mostly on my uncles property, that should be excellent for waterfowl. I'm planning on establishing paths to all of these areas. Any other suggestions?

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Let some naturally regenerate from cut areas imo. Then mow down a strip here and there so new growth/browse/cover is always regenerating every few years.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Curdog, yes, I realize any expenditures can be used to offset the taxes on the timber sales. Problem is, Mom still owns it all, Mom got the money for the timber, so the benefits of what I'm doing will go to Mom. I'm the one who's paying for it all, but I can't get any of the compensation.

Weekender, Good idea. There will be plenty of natural regeneration area due to lack of money and energy on my part. Mowing down the strips will prove difficult. Loggers left a lot of trash, I'm 2.5 hours away, and no bush hog or tractor. I'm gonna have to make do with spraying herbicide, a light duty trail behind mower and a small lawn tractor.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Lots of questions come to mind. What is the density and species of the pine you left during harvest? Is the site conducive to burning? And of course your specialty, what is the soil type.

I know you aware of several cost share programs that could be of assistance. Though difficult to sign-up EQIP pays $45/ac for burning. This should cover the cost if you can get the nc forest service to do the burn. Depending on financial situation the cost share rate could be even higher.
Burning could help to sort things out a bit and remove some of the debris/trash. Organic soils?

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We left about 20% cover. Wild loblolly pine and various oak species. Parts of it may be conducive to burning, and I may still do it in the areas where I planted long leaf or that were left unplanted due to thick trash layers. I'd be afraid to try it where I've already planted the loblollys. It would have been much easier had I been able to burn it before I started planting, but I knew I would not be able to get it all planted by myself anyway, and needed to start asap if I were going to get much done. The soil is mostly Norfolk/Goldsboro with the usual wetter spots, as it gently slopes down to a decent sized creek. I plan on planting the Atlantic White Cedars down near the creek. I may check to see if we qualify for some cost share when I get a chance.

sandhills hunter

Ten Pointer
If your timber was after the pines dropped their seed or enough pines were left to drop seed or for the wind to blow the pine seed in you may have a good or unwanted stand of pines shortly.

hardentownhunter

Four Pointer
I would just save up some money and find a small contractor with a little bulldozer. $100 - $125/hour. Let him make you paths, shooting lanes and food plots. A bulldozer can do a lot of work in a day.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have always chose to do the foodplot and prescribed burns if possible. They always produce .Planting pines and then burn them in 10 years will be one heck of a foodplot.

Last edited:

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
As a pine stand canopies in habitat quality begins to decrease. Most folks will never thin a pine plantation heavy enough to realize a significant, sustainable habitat benefit even if including prescribed fire. Soilman, I would recommend developing a plan or getting some assistance developing a plan of how you would like the property to be. This will provide some estimated numbers on acres of each vegetation type,amount of trail/fire breaks etc. This will help to guide your efforts, or seek cost share if you decide to go that route.