Thread: quiet air rifle

Default quiet air rifle

I had a spring powered single break type but it was near as loud as a 22. I see claims that these "nitro piston" ones are much quieter and don't have the spring type recoil. What have y'all found to be the quietest .22 caliber air rifle one out there?
    Last edited by 45/70 hunter; 01-15-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Twelve Pointer

Quietest would be a pcp with a shroud like a Marauder with a TKO. Springers will be loud due to spring. 177 may break sound barrier. Your 22 idea is a good one. 25 if your going Marauder. They get much better ratings due to Green Mountain Barrels. They are slightly louder than a 22 but with a shroud it gets quiet. You can set unexpected a lot of the faster ones like AA and Marauders as well.

Four Pointer

I feel so stupid. What is a pcp? aTKO? Old timer here for sure.
    I have a Gamo Whisper. Bought it 10-12 years ago. Quieter than a 22, but its the only pellet rifle I've owned or shot so I have no reference.
    Works OK for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HillBilly2 View Post
    I feel so stupid. What is a pcp? aTKO? Old timer here for sure.
    I have a Gamo Whisper. Bought it 10-12 years ago. Quieter than a 22, but its the only pellet rifle I've owned or shot so I have no reference.
    Works OK for me.

PCP stands for Pre Charged Pneumatic. Not sure about the TKO though

Twelve Pointer

TKO is a shroud maker, kind of like a suppressor but no permit needed. Also referred to as a LDC. Has a,series of baffles in it to direct air.

For 300 you can get one of the quietest air rifles there is. A gami varmiter .17 caliber. It shoots at a very high speed 1400 fps faster than a .22 bullet and it will do the job i can kill raccoons with this gun buy it and I reccomend you dont use the premier platnium bullets get something else. I have pellets that work great but i dont remember the name theyre german and come in a yellow and black container use those and its very accurate i hit black birds at 70 yards