quiet air rifle

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a spring powered single break type but it was near as loud as a 22. I see claims that these "nitro piston" ones are much quieter and don't have the spring type recoil. What have y'all found to be the quietest .22 caliber air rifle one out there?

Last edited:

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Quietest would be a pcp with a shroud like a Marauder with a TKO. Springers will be loud due to spring. 177 may break sound barrier. Your 22 idea is a good one. 25 if your going Marauder. They get much better ratings due to Green Mountain Barrels. They are slightly louder than a 22 but with a shroud it gets quiet. You can set unexpected a lot of the faster ones like AA and Marauders as well.

HillBilly2

Four Pointer
I feel so stupid. What is a pcp? aTKO? Old timer here for sure.
I have a Gamo Whisper. Bought it 10-12 years ago. Quieter than a 22, but its the only pellet rifle I've owned or shot so I have no reference.
Works OK for me.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
I feel so stupid. What is a pcp? aTKO? Old timer here for sure.
I have a Gamo Whisper. Bought it 10-12 years ago. Quieter than a 22, but its the only pellet rifle I've owned or shot so I have no reference.
Works OK for me.

PCP stands for Pre Charged Pneumatic. Not sure about the TKO though

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
TKO is a shroud maker, kind of like a suppressor but no permit needed. Also referred to as a LDC. Has a,series of baffles in it to direct air.

richard11989

For 300 you can get one of the quietest air rifles there is. A gami varmiter .17 caliber. It shoots at a very high speed 1400 fps faster than a .22 bullet and it will do the job i can kill raccoons with this gun buy it and I reccomend you dont use the premier platnium bullets get something else. I have pellets that work great but i dont remember the name theyre german and come in a yellow and black container use those and its very accurate i hit black birds at 70 yards