Shooting lane food plot question

Duckcrazy

Spike
I am currently a member of a hunting club that is located on a property used for timber and surrounded by agricultural fields (corn, soybeans). Every so often the property owner/logging company comes and clear cuts the blocks before replanting. I currently have two stands on the club and am looking for a third location. My current two stands are located in a replanted block of woods that is a couple of years old, its really thick with briers and underbrush and the pine trees are just about 16 ft tall at the moment. I want to put in a couple of food plots for those stands to help offset the amount of corn I had to use this year and provide a better option for the deer. The club has a rule that I can't cut down any of the trees at it would effect the owner's profit. My current stands have approximately 150 yard shooting lane and I was wondering if it would be possible to plant a food crop down each lane. I do plan on taking my climber in this year to bow hunt so I would set up probably 50-70 yards toward the end of my lane then my current stands only so I don't have to change anything when I switch to my rifle. What would you suggest I use for this and where should I start the food plot? I'm wondering if I should start the plot at 50 yards from my current stand so when I walk in with a climber I don't have to walk through the plot or am I better off just leaving a path and starting closer to my current stand? Any help would be appreciated

Duckcrazy

Spike
I forgot to add...I can't get up there all that much during the off season...the wife gives me the time during the season but during the off season I have a long honey do list. So I need something I can plant and need little maintenance.

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
Plant it the whole way. They don't care if you walk through it and you need all the plot you can get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
In those pines I would assume the soil will be acidic and may be hard to get a clover or such to grow. I would wait until the 1st of September and plant Rye grain, Wheat or Oats in the lane maybe even turnips. If you want it to grow well make sure you clear out as much brush and pine needles on the ground as you can.

Duckcrazy

Spike
Mj74...Thanks for the info. I would like to plant before September if possible maybe toward the end of August. Only to have some of the food plot for the beginning of bow season as well as during the rifle season. Would this be possible? Is there a blend that would be recommended or am i better off just buying the seeds and mixing it myself?

Boojum

Ten Pointer
We plant a mixture of oats and clover in shooting lanes through planted pines, works good. Some lime helps.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dump lime asap, forget planting annuals this time of year.
Fertilize the sides of the places you plan to plant, especially if they have native browse plants. That will pay off much more this late in the game. You can also thin trees without affecting any monetary value, but increase the available sunlight to your plot.
Most importantly, make sure of the wind currents in the area will be good for stand placement.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
URL=http://s122.photobucket.com/user/jugheadjug/media/IMG_2020.jpg.html]
IMG_2020.jpg

I hope this posts. This is our shooting lane foodplot in Scotland county/ rye and crimson clover

Last edited:

Boojum

Ten Pointer
The oats/clover was just starting to come up in this pic, but the deer were already using it, it's full of tracks.

Attachments

• lane.jpg
    lane.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 5

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Adequate sunlight will be important. I once wrongly assumed that because my shooting lane had weeds and grass, it would grow deer radishes, etc. Wrong! Only a thin strip that got enough sun ever came up. LOL. Don't be a moe ron like I was and mow, till, etc, only to realize sunlight is limited.

Pine rows are often hard to plant between the rows due to low points between the "hilled up" rows of trees, also.

Are those pines tall and thick enough for a climber? Doesn't sound like it. Again, don't be a moe ron like me and think you can bowhunt in pines at a height of ten feet. LOL.