Planting evergreens for thermal cover

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
F12. Blue Catfish – Lake Tillery, Lake Wylie, and Mountain Island Reservoir

Establish an exception to the general statewide regulation for Blue Catfish in Lake Tillery, Lake Wylie, and Mountain Island Reservoir by allowing only one fish greater than 32 inches to be possessed in the daily creel.

Interest in catfish angling is growing rapidly, and anglers seeking large catfish target the Blue Catfish populations in Lake Tillery, Lake Wylie, and Mountain Island Reservoir. Commission data indicate that Blue Catfish greater than 32 inches are rare in these populations and that it takes on average between 12 and 20 years for Blue Catfish to reach this size. The proposed size limit will restrict harvest of large Blue Catfish to help maintain quality fisheries in these reservoirs. Harvest of fish less than 32 inches remains unrestricted.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
so you just pretty much summed it up. you can keep as many Blue cats as you want to under 32 inches. Hint, that means you can harvest all you want to under that size.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
so you just pretty much summed it up. you can keep as many Blue cats as you want to under 32 inches. Hint, that means you can harvest all you want to under that size.
You could be talking to a gummy bear and feel like it was more intelligent, you do know that don't you?

He know they allow electro-fishing and just about every method short of dynamite on sections of the cape fear and he still says they are protected. LMAO

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They could do it.

Just a question of priorities.

You are bat crazy. Have you ever electroshocked from a boat? Do you have any ideas of the limitations of shocking, especially depth and fish size? I would guess not given that comment.

That's about like saying the WRC could wipe out all of the coyotes if they wanted. Just a question of priorities.:roll eyes:

No, it's probably crazier than that. It would be one of the biggest wastes of money in a failing effort. I'll give you a hint: shocking has a limited depth reach, far short of where blue cats normally position, and is much less effective on smaller fish (more numerous). Good luck wiping them out.

Man, you've come up with some real zingers lately.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You are bat crazy. Have you ever electroshocked from a boat? Do you have any ideas of the limitations of shocking, especially depth and fish size? I would guess not given that comment.

That's about like saying the WRC could wipe out all of the coyotes if they wanted. Just a question of priorities.:roll eyes:

No, it's probably crazier than that. It would be one of the biggest wastes of money in a failing effort. I'll give you a hint: shocking has a limited depth reach, far short of where blue cats normally position, and is much less effective on smaller fish (more numerous). Good luck wiping them out.

Man, you've come up with some real zingers lately.

Of course you could not electroshock them all but the NCWRC could put out nets like is being done on the Chesapeake Bay.

http://www.bayjournal.com/article/task_force_looking_for_ways_to_control_invasive_blue_catfish

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Since this thread is now way of course, I guess game fish status for blue and flathead catfish is next.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I should mention I am experimenting with using native red spruce as an alternative to the Norway spruce widely planted up here as wildlife and landscaping. But the Norway spruce grows very well and is widely available.
The mad scientist, or should I say ECOLOGIST. :rolleyes:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As was I.

Cut the cedars all you want. That won't solve it.
No it won't. As I had, 140 apple trees here at one time. I was plagued with it and cut every cedar tree on my property at the urging of my county agent. Sprayed just about fungicide imaginable and still fought that crap on some of the yellow varieties.

Once those spores are in the ground you have it.

wsanders

well to get back to the subject i plant a few juniper (or atlantic white cedar) and long leaf pine every year just because they kept many a family from starving, and I just like them.