Rye grain now???

I bought 25 acres in september. Long skinny and flat property, only 150 yds wide. It has an old logging road down the middle of it that im working to flatten out. Would like to plant something to mainly limit erosion, but during the spring wouldn't mind feeding the wildlife. During the fall, would be using the road walking into my stand. I plan on smoothing it out now and my options are planting rye grain, winter ryegrass, or waiting til spring and planting then. After saturday, highs are still in the 70s down here in pender county. Will be driving on the road occasionally with atv or utv. Any suggestions? Road gets good light and has rich soil, but poor pH.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do, not plant rye grass, please. If we keep getting unseasonably warm temps grain will germinate.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can plant rye and rye grass and or wheat this week. The soil temp is still high enough that they will germinate. You could probably get by with planting crimson clover too. The weather has been very warm the late fall. I would stay away from ryegrass down there. I would not be scared to plant wheat, rye and crimson clover this coming week.

Thanks guys, being a new property i have been overwhelmed trying to balance hunting this year and preparing for next year. Hopefully get out there sunday to plant some rye grain. Rye grass is last resort if cereal grains dont grow. Would do clover but hate to drive over it if i had to.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The most important thing to do is go ahead and get the lime out...it may take awhile to get the ground to the correct ph, and planting time will be here before you know it.
Rye grain is actually beneficial in adjusting the ph, so you can actually mix the rye grain and clover seed and expect some germination of the grain, with continued germination of the clover well into the spring.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Consider crimson clover. You don't need great soil and with our warm temps of late, I think it would take off and thrive clear to the hot days of May.

I have a small 1/3 acre crimson clover plot already. its just off the side of the road, 50 yds from one of the few trees large enough to hold a stand. I have 2 strips along the road planted in wheat/oats mix in early november. I was just hoping the rye would be cheap, limit erosion, and provide some offseason food at the same time. If i can find some local clover seed near wilmington i may go that route. thanks for the help guys.

So before christmas i planted a mix of wheat and oats, could not find any rye. Mixed in a little red and white clover that i had left over. Checked it this weekend and has germinated pretty good. Will see if it lasts through this cold front with out a lot of roots.