Perlo

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Big deep pot. Melt a stick of butter on medium, then put a whole chicken (separated/parted into thighs, breasts, wings patted dry first) into pot. Brown both sides (doesn't necessarily need to be cooked completely).

Remove chicken, added sliced smoked sausage. Best to cut the slices in halves, too. Once cooked, remove sausage.

Add chopped sweet onion and two garlic cloves, sautéed until translucent. Spread in pan them add chicken parts on top, then pour in chicken stock so it covers all the chicken, turn to medium low and simmer with lid partially on for 1-1.5 hrs. (adding more stock if needed to keep covered).

Then remove chicken and add 2 cups rice to the liquid. Bring to boil, then simmer with lid on for 15. While rice is cooking, shred chicken.

When rice is done, add chicken and sausage back and fold in. Salt and pepper to taste.

Eat. Smack your mama.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 239

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you're from the Low Country of SC.........the accepted pronunciation is "puhlow"!! LOL

Good eating how ever you pronounce it. "Chicken bog" is pretty much the same except without the sausage!!

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
The "chicken bog" we do does have sausage but everybody has their own favorite ingredients and manner to prepare them...either way it is delicious. For a different flavor try using mild Andouille sausage.

My recipe for a fairly large batch is 3 small fryers (2-3# each), a chopped onion, a stick of butter and plenty of salt & pepper boiled slowly with just enough water to cover them (about 11 cups in the large kettle we use). Remove the birds when done and add 3 cups of rice and 2# sausage slices to the broth and slowly cook, stirring occasionally. Take all the meat from chickens and when rice is almost done stir the chicken back in.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Went by the SC club today and the "chief cook" was deboning 60 lbs for the next three Saturday's perlo/bog

Last edited:

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Went by the SC club today and the "chief cook" was deboning 60 lbs for the next three Saturday's perlo/bog

I'm from the mountains of western NC, but there is a big part of me that stays in the lowcountry, and I get down there a good 4-5 times a year.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Y'all getting awfully close to jambalaya .....interesting take off an old favorite of mine.

robertc

Eight Pointer
I made this late Thursday night with wild turkey, added shrimp and kielbasa sausage. Mix it all up in a large crock pot and simmered until lunch yesterday. Feed the entire shift at 911. Everyone loved it except one of the girls who don't like shrimp. Thanks for the recipe.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Man you for got to add the hearts and gizzards to the mix..... Added treats. I also add patty sausage after smoke sausage comes out and brown like hamburger for the mix.

sandhills hunter

Ten Pointer
Always have been amazed that folks in the piedmont and western NC don't know what is or have ever had chicken and rice/chicken bog.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Married a hillbilly woman! (best thing every) She had never had collards,chicken bog, butter beans, rice and tomatoes and long list of things. I got ramps and a whole slough of stuff back in return.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I made a small one of these for me and the wife Saturday night...perfect comfort food for a cold winter's night. I plan on doing a large batch at the coast this weekend for 12 or so of us.