Must try this

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
A variation on Sharps40's deer in tomatoes:

- marinate backstrap medallions in a mix of dales, Worcestershire, and olive oil for a minimum of two hours

- heat up 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, add salt/pepper, and beef broth as well as Sriracha Cha sauce to taste

- in another pan (I used cast iron), heat up canola oil, just enough to cover the pan plus a splash
-toss cleaned backstrap medallions in House Autrey chicken breader, then place in hot oil. When you start to see blood spots showing, flip the medallions.
-once you flip the medallions, add chopped baby Bella mushrooms, chopped garlic, and sliced onion ringlets to the meat pan.
-by this time, the tomatoes/brothe should have been boiling for about 10 or so
-pour the tomato pan over the meat, cut the burner to low. Add about cup of red wine and enough beef broth to mostly cover everything. Add additional salt, pepper, dill, oregano, and basil.

Cover and simmer for 45 mins to an hour, stirring about halfway through to make sure the meat doesn't stick to the pan.

Smack your mom next time you see her. It's that good.

Picture to come....

Last edited:

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
A variation on Sharps40's deer in tomatoes:

- marinate backstrap medallions in a mix of dales, Worcestershire, and olive oil for a minimum of two hours

- heat up 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, add salt/pepper, and beef broth as well as Sriracha Cha sauce to taste

- in another pan (I used cast iron), heat up canola oil, just enough to cover the pan plus a splash
-toss cleaned backstrap medallions in House Autrey chicken breader, then place in hot oil. When you start to see blood spots showing, flip the medallions.
-once you flip the medallions, add chopped baby Bella mushrooms, chopped garlic, and sliced onion ringlets to the meat pan.
-by this time, the tomatoes/brothe should have been boiling for about 10 or so
-pour the tomato pan over the meat, cut the burner to low. Add about cup of red wine and enough beef broth to mostly cover everything. Add additional salt, pepper, dill, oregano, and basil.

Cover and simmer for 45 mins to an hour, stirring about halfway through to make sure the meat doesn't stick to the pan.

Smack your mom next time you see her. It's that good.

Picture to come....

Picture of the finished product

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 151

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I've done the same thing with strips of goose breast that came out really good. Served with wild rice or toasted white rice and some biscuits.
Browned white rice:
Warm a non stick skillet (or cast iron) to medium
And white rice (dry) & stir gently to slightly brown or toast the rice (you can add a tsp of butter if you wish but I typically do it dry)
Cook rice as normal and the flavor of the toasting comes out...better than wild rice.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Had to adjust this a little for health.

This time I used cube steak (venison) and instead of breading/pan frying, I seared them on the grill. Onions and mushrooms on the grill as well.

Everything else about the same, except I put it all in the crock pot. I'll fire it off in the am so it's ready for lunch.

Last edited: