Food Plot ID

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So we planted our food plots late this year just before the monsoons started on the last weekend of September. They are growing nicely but I have no idea what is coming up. We threw out the southern states wildlife blend and turnip seeds. I can't tell if the turnips are coming up or not. This is from the edge of a plot and is an example of everything that is growing.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like everything is coming up to me.

Pretty sure I see some turnip seedlings.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Any idea on time-frame for the turnips? I would have thought there would be more growth than what I see so far.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Turnips grow pretty quick, if you planted the last week of September they should be alot bigger than that.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don't know what went wrong with the turnips. I may have done too many or something. Everything else seems to be doing great.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The soil looks like you have severe compaction . You should have more growth than that. Did you lime the soil. That red clay soil in the northern part of the state will not grow jack but ryegrass without lime.
I see winterpeas, rye or wheat and maybe crimson clover and turnips.

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The soil looks like you have severe compaction . You should have more growth than that. Did you lime the soil. That red clay soil in the northern part of the state will not grow jack but ryegrass without lime.
I see winterpeas, rye or wheat and maybe crimson clover and turnips.
I hit it good with a big tiller. We had put down some lime in the spring but I did not do any soil tests. After talking to a guy that used to hunt the property the right side where we planted everything is much more acidic than the left side. He said we will have more luck on the left side next year.

Bloomah

do a soil test, only cost $4 this time of year and the rest of the time they are free. I did a soil test, followed their instructions and things started out slow, but with all this rain, it is full and growing like crazy. Almost to the point where I am wondering if I should mow it once? The clover is 6-8" tall, the deer are hitting it but not that hard, plenty of beans still in the fields, it has to dry out before they can harvest them, if they are still any good.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would say acidic soil is the problem. Red clay soil in Guilford, Rockingham and Caswell county needs a lot of lime to grow stuff. I found that out . Acidic soil stunts the plants. Restricts growth and fertilize intake. I got almost 6 acres on my farm in Rockingham county in what the NCDA classifies as improved pasture with clover. I got crimson, ladino and red clover with chicory, rye , wheat and ryegrass. The areas that need lime, the plants are smaller. I can always tell where I need the most lime. The plants will tell the tale.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I've never seen much land in Caswell that didn't need lime and it takes lime about six months to really work. The best thing I've found for this clay soil is Australian winter peas and they last all winter, they really like cold weather.

rustvyper

Ten Pointer
I've never seen much land in Caswell that didn't need lime and it takes lime about six months to really work. The best thing I've found for this clay soil is Australian winter peas and they last all winter, they really like cold weather.

Yep, all the topsoil of caswell county long ago washed out past the outer banks. It will take 3-4 years of yearly soil tests & application to get your soil right. Once you do, it's pretty much fire & forget with some maintenance application ever 3 years.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Was out there on Sunday and found a few turnips that were growing nicely. I think I put too much turnip seed out.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
9957BC43-280F-4834-9593-C3CA5E734BBB_zpsajucnacs.jpg

This was my most successful food plot this season. I can tell you from the lack of trail cam photos that nothing is visiting it but bears and bobcats and the occasional yearling.