seeding opinion

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So im wondering if i just didnt seed enough? Or wait & see what else sprouts over the next weeks? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• tmp_19240-IMG_20151004_124418-284461657.jpg
    tmp_19240-IMG_20151004_124418-284461657.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yeah, the other plot is coming up thicker, but I'm seeing more rye then clover. .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
crimson clover is the only clover that I have seen to work well in sandy soil.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yeah I planted a clover blend, with a forage blend plus local rye seed..

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Different seeds germinate at different rates. It would be tough to know without knowing when it was planted.
Sand will grow grains well, but probably won't support alot of perinneal growth unless there's a different base under that sand.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It was all planted 2 weeks ago, both lanes have sprouted, with no major bare spots, since this was the 1st time I've actually got 1 in the ground, was just curious about the coverage showing in the picture.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Everything should have sprouted by now for sure.
You can always overseed radish or brassicas right before a rain for the next week or so to get a thicker plot.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you planted rye grass, instead of grain you should get down on your knees and thank the good Lord nothing germinated.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you planted rye grass, instead of grain you should get down on your knees and thank the good Lord nothing germinated.
It was grain. I wasn't expecting anything to germinate, with a 4.8-5ph & only being able to use the 4wheeler tires to "disc"..

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Prep is very important, but rye grain can actually raise the ph if it grows, we used to plant rye in the white sand of Florida and it would make it through the winter.
It's not gonna thrive, but it will germinate and live to make a decent winter plot.
I dont plant it much, because it doesn't get eaten like oats and winter wheat in my area, and it gets really tall in the spring so it shades my clover.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Rye grain will germinate in the cracks of my shop when I spill some filling the drill, I can't imagine it not doing so it gets even marginal soil/seed contact. Every year I overseed the dam of my pond where the goats have worn it down to bare ground. It is just barren red clay. I throw it out with a small spreader behind my ATV and keep the goats off it about 6 weeks and turn them on it to graze. Never tried to till it in because it is so steep. I just actually run the spreader on the very edges and it also comes up. I can't fathom why you didn't get some coming up.