Plot Screen

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
Has anyone ever tried planting some type of screen? Farmer already plants our fields I am just worried of someone shooting me in the back of our field while in my ground blind. Snipers are always stopping and looking at the deer in the field. I am worried someone is going to fire in my direction. Thinking of trying to plant this so the field cant be seen from the highway. Any advice appreciated.

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
Yea I thought about them but my concern would be when the farmer sprays his crops the chemicals my kill them etc.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A grass-type screen, whether annual or perennial will be much faster and cheaper than trees, and can easily be removed if wanted.

I tried the Alamo SG around our dove field this year. I hope it jumps up next year.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Egyptian wheat is perfect for this. Kenaf is another option, but egyptian wheat seed is a lot easier to find.

Here is a field of beans I did this year, the road is just on the other side of that 12' wall of egyptian wheat.

road screen.jpg

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Egyptian wheat is a type of sudangrass sorghum but you have to plant it every year. Deer will pull the seedheads down in late December/ January after several freezes and eat the seedheads.

Last edited:

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
Egyptian wheat is perfect for this. Kenaf is another option, but egyptian wheat seed is a lot easier to find.

Here is a field of beans I did this year, the road is just on the other side of that 12' wall of egyptian wheat.

View attachment 46862
Nice!!! but once it dies off or whatever it don't keep coming back each year or anything does it?

judgeswildlife36

Grain Sorgram & Iron Clay Pea's (Late Season)

02327d10068e23258386aa149cc05dac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Nice!!! but once it dies off or whatever it don't keep coming back each year or anything does it?
No. It's annual. I'd plant some trees for a permanent screen. They take a few years to be useful though.

5 Shot

Ten Pointer

View attachment 46862
That looks good. I want to plant some of this but my question is when the farmer sprays his crop will it affect the EW? He will be planting soybeans this year in our field but I was going to get him to leave me a little space to plant a line of this so field cant be seen from road. Just wondering what will happen when farmer sprays his crops.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That looks good. I want to plant some of this but my question is when the farmer sprays his crop will it affect the EW? He will be planting soybeans this year in our field but I was going to get him to leave me a little space to plant a line of this so field cant be seen from road. Just wondering what will happen when farmer sprays his crops.
If he sprays the beans it will be fine. I did. I didn't spray the Egyptian wheat though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
Yea, I was just worried about it drifting on it or whatever

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Depends on what the beans are being sprayed with. If you want a permanent screen & don't want to wait for trees, I would really lean toward warm season grasses. If it's height you want, mammoth bluestem, big bluestem, little bluestem switchgrass, & Indian grass would be my top choices. One established they are extremely hardy..roots will extend 10-15ft underground.