Clover Fail

dirtburn

Four Pointer
Well I haven't planted clover in a while so I decided to this year. I had plenty of time so I got my soil sample and did accordingly but this year I went with seed from local supplier, some white and a little crimson. I had my hopes up due to it actually started raining as we were finishing for the day and had a few good rains after that. Sixteen days later we go pull cards and check on the plot and nothing, not a single green sprout anywhere. My question is should I have something by now with this seed or should I plan on doing some replanting? Thanks for any advice.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What was the planting method and rates of each? I wouldn't necessarily call it a failure yet, white clover in particular is slow to start. Crimson not so much...

dirtburn

Four Pointer
The best I can figure was about 16 lbs/acre of white and 8lbs/acre of crimson. The plot was disced and smoothed and seed was broadcasted and then rolled. Those rates are calculated since the plot is only ¼ acre.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
white clover in particular is slow to start. Crimson not so much...

That's what I was thinking. White clover seems to take forever. In fact, I don't see much out of it until the following spring. Crimson on the other hand ought to get going.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If it was packed before seeding and then packed again, you nailed it. If you broadcast on loose soil and then packed, you likely pushed the seed too deep to come up. A real heavy rain can occasionally mess you up too. If I didn't see any crimson at this point, I'd probably replant while I still had time.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
I planted a couple plots the week leading up to Labor day weekend and have wheat and oats 4 inches tall and clover sprouted everywhere. Maybe yours got buried to deep...You could still replant and be okay for the next couple weeks but you are running out of time...

dirtburn

Four Pointer
I can't help but feel that I should replant too. I've got a few days to get everything together due to this rain. Was I pretty close on my seed choice and seed rate or should I do something a little different considering the time of year, I am not committed to clover. I would like something for this season.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Broadcast some radish and clover mixed on top of what you have now, maybe throw a bit of turnips and mustard in there as well, and that should cover you for this year. Crimson is good for road sides, but not much else except turkey food and white clover can be pretty tough to get started in the heat..it should be late enough that the clover will germinate and then start making roots, and the other greens will take you through this season.
That clover will leaf out in the spring, and hopefully establish itself, but you can always overseed in February with more clover to make sure that things take off.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like crimson clover for deer. Deer eat it well for me and it stays green longer.

My experience around here, crimson always gets too leggy and summer kills, and never really takes off if planted in the fall. We used to use it in plots in Ala, but here in this hard clay..it's not a viable option since it never gets big enough until Turkey season, but the turkeys like it.
Maybe planting crimson clover in the spring would be a better option for a deer plot in the fall, but I've never tried it up here in NC. I've had great luck with Durana, Ladino whites and Arrow leaf , Cherokee and cinnamon reds in our area seeded in the fall and then overseeded in the spring the first year.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Goes to show how two people can have different results with the same thing. Crimson is the only clover I have planted to be huntable in 45 days, I'm on mostly sandy soil though. Might be the difference. Still had good results in a few clay plots though.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Your prep is probably done much better than mine as well. In order to be one of my food plots you gotta be tough to survive:D
I typically plant new clover as a topper to a plot planted in late September or early October, so most of my clover actually is beneficial the next few years and not the first season. Once a clover plot is established, I can typically get 3-4 years out of it easily and sometimes longer if I can keep it sprayed and mowed.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
crimson clover works good for me and grows longer into Fall and winter when ladino clover is gone. Come spring though the deer will barely touch the crimson and mow down the ladino. I planted 25 pounds of red clover in Mid August. Came up 2 inches high and got mowed down before it could develop good foliage. The deer eat everything to the ground up in rockingham county. I never seen nothing like it. I won't even think of planting ladino clover now. I will have to wait and frost seed ladino. The deer will munch it off as soon as it germinates.

Last edited:

dirtburn

Four Pointer
My larger plot is planted in turnips so I was mainly wanting to add variety. If I go back with clover I think I will attempt a different brand or something else all together.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The crimson, I was told I didn't need to do the white.
In most cases that is correct. It doesn't hurt it though. It is hard to believe you had a complete fail. Even as dry as it has been. Sounds like my luck.

I helped a friend plant about two acres right in the same time frame and he got a couple showers and he got a great stand. This rain has come at the perfect time.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I had a complete fail in the past but I just threw out some seed on top of freshly disced up field, turkeys and birds probably got the seed.

You guys planting crimson.......how long into the fall does it usually stay green? We planted some this year along with chicory,white,red, and ladino clover but im new to food plots and never really planted anything but chicory,oats,rye and turnips.
Checked the plots last week and they are sprouting so hopefully they grow well.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Crimson stays green all winter. In late March it blooms for 2-3 weeks then dies. Arrowleaf clover will persist through June.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
if you're planting clover, radish or brassicas you can overseed right before a rain unless you have very packed soil. The action of the rain will typically give you all the dirt contact that you need for good germination.

dirtburn

Four Pointer
We have had five inches of rain since Friday, I plan on riding up and checking out the plot this evening.

dirtburn

Four Pointer
Well I guess the abundance of rain helped. I was able to check on my plot for the first time since all the rain started, with the disc behind the tractor and ready I was shocked to see green. It wasn't the lush buffet I was hoping for but it was growing so I think I will fertilize and give it a chance, may try to top seed with something for the winter.