Fried Quail

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
Fried up some bobwhites that were in the freezer from last year. Quite possibly my favorite wild game to put on a dinner plate.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150920_194522.jpg
    20150920_194522.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 368
  • 20150920_195427.jpg
    20150920_195427.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 369

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
'92 or '93 since I had any! Looks good! I use to like putting them in the oven with a ginger and pineapple recipe. I can taste it now just thinking about it!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive had the fried quial and they are good....but barbecue sauce and a grill will make a quail sing again. Ill never fry another.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I love to debone them (mostly breasts) and lightly season & flour then partially fry in a bit of oil. Remove them and make a big pot of gravy from the drippings and add the meat back into the gravy to simmer for a bit. Serve over rice with a side of collards and some good biscuits.

Last edited:

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
I love to debone them (mostly breasts) and lightly season & flour then partially fry in a bit of oil. Remove them and make a big pot of gravy from the drippings and add the meat back into the gravy to simmer for a bit. Serve over rice with a side of collards and some good biscuits.

That's what I'm talking about! I always do gravy too. A few tablespoons of flour, a little bit of milk. And make sure to get the left over crunchy stuff in the pan.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
there's a little restaurant in the town near our deer lease that use to serve them grilled or fried. got to know the owners good and they would sell us a case at a time. these were whole birds farm raised and frozen in a marinade. one of the guys in our club would make up a oyster dressing and stuff each bird and bake it in the oven. the were out of this world....

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Ranch hand would set trap for us on deer lease in Texas. Fried quail grits gravey and corn bread tough to beat

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I love to grill quail whole....turns out to be like a Cornish hen.

Never tried them fried with gravy but will definitely try to this year

Last edited:

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Oh man that looks good.
I also like them seared in a hot pan both sides, pour some white wine on top and drop a lid on it for about 2 minutes. Sounds fancy; but oh so good.

When I was a kid my father would go on a 2 day quail hunt Fri. & Sat come home on Sun. then my job started cleaning the birds legs and all but after that my mother would bake them on Mon. with pepper in the oven and it was all worth it for everyone killed a few in my hunting days but as years went by the quail left from NC but it was a good time while it lasted