Seed

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So we are going to finally get some stuff done at the club this weekend. Where near Greensboro can I find some bulk seed? What should I plant? I see the Turnip/Radish suggestion.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I typically buy at our local LTD/Southern States, but you guys have a Crop Production over there as well and they have better choices and prices than our coop does.
I had to use the Whitetail Institute radish seed, which comes in a mixture of other "stuff" to make up the 5 pounds advertised on the bag because our seed store was out of bulk radish seed. Typically I use tillage radish of some kind, and regular purple top turnip seed which is pure seed and has a good germination rate.
It's hard to go wrong with winter wheat/oats and radish/turnip combo for an annual plot, it's easy to grow and is a great attractant that will stay green all winter and grows well in our area. I try to add a clover or two if I am in a place that has turkeys that would benefit in the spring and summer.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
Southern States has 50 lb bag of oats for $19.99. Buck Forage oats are around $30.00 for a 50 lb bag in most places. Don't know what the difference is
but most people prefer Buck Forage oats. I hear a lot of positive things about turnip/radish plots so you probably won't go wrong with those. Planted radish
for the first time this year so we'll see how that turns out.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I bought a 50lb bag of the Southern States winter mix. I also bought 2lbs of turnips. We rented a brush hog from HD on Saturday and mowed about 2-3 miles of trails. That was a pain. I wish we had a tractor. I came back Sunday with a tiller and made 3 nice sized plots and spread the seed. We'll see what comes up. We had also put up 4 cameras on Saturday afternoon and I decided to check the placement and see if they were working right. We already had a really nice doe moving not long after we left. Unfortunately we only mowed and fixed up half the property. There is about 3/4 mile of trails and 2 food plots we did not do on the other side.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I don't think " buck forage" oats are any better than regular oats or wheat, just marketed better. I buy most of my seeds from hancockseed.com.

Mixed wheat & oats with turnips, radish, kale, then threw in some red and white clover. Did a few just clover & turnip strips along paths & near box stands. Hopefully, we'll get some rain later this week to get it all up and growing.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thank goodness we finally got some moisture from the sky in our area..your plots should be ready as soon as mine, and you planted much later. This drought has been terrible, except for the birds and varmints that got to eat my seed for the past weeks.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yeah it looks like Martinsville got a nice soaking rain off an on for the past 24 hours. A few of the spots we planted in retain much of the moisture. They should do ok as long as we get some moisture from time to time. I put in a nice food plot near one of the entrances. I have not figured out how we will actually hunt this but it is there and there is lots of deer traffic coming in from across the road.

Anyone have any suggestions on keeping the trails mowed down in the off season other than driving them frequently? We may just have to run the 4 wheelers and jeeps a bunch. I don't know if we will ever mow it again with that push brush hog. lol

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
spray twice a year with Roundup or the equivalent and it will do wonders at keeping the high growth down to a minimum. a 4 wheeler mounted sprayer, or someone riding on the back of a 4 wheeler and spraying with a back pack sprayer can cover a lot of ground really quickly when just spraying for higher weeds.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looks like our procrastination paid off this year. Should have some nice looking plots when I head up for opening day in VA.