Dove field morphs into fall deer plot.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
After shooting over my dirt dove field twice, I disced it again and sowed some ryegrass, iron clay peas and soybeans right in front of the rain on Wednesday afternoon. As of today, the rye is 1/2 inch tall and the beans are ready to open the first 2 leaves.
The deer have already found them and are eating them already........................

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
After shooting over my dirt dove field twice, I disced it again and sowed some ryegrass, iron clay peas and soybeans right in front of the rain on Wednesday afternoon. As of today, the rye is 1/2 inch tall and the beans are ready to open the first 2 leaves.
The deer have already found them and are eating them already........................

Just wondering why would you plant something like Soybeans or ICP this late in the year? First frost will get them and they don't have time to produce any mast.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Wouldn't that be a great plot until then though?
They will come for they Rye later in the year.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Wouldn't that be a great plot until then though?
They will come for they Rye later in the year.

Yeah it will be good early season plot. We plant the beans and stuff in late spring so it has mass on it early hunting season, then also do the fall blends with clover, chicory, turnips, oats. If I was doing a fall bean plot right now I would have done winter peas with turnips and oats mixed in and maybe some clover also since it will be left after everything else is gone.

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
beans and such will be a great early draw to deer. I also sow in Egyptian wheat and peas into my late summer/ fall plots, they don't last long but deer love them. By the time the cold weather sets in the oats, radishes, and turnips should be doing well.

the deer come for the dessert but keeping coming back for the meals.......

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
If you plant it, they will come. The way the deer are tearing it up, most of the peas/beans won't live long enough to see a frost and I plan on putting some greens in with them right before the next rain [I left a strip 3 feet wide open for this along one side of the plot].
Near the last planting date for kale, I will lightly disc some more greens into the pea side of the plot.

Last edited: