Food plots on a budget

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for all the input from those of you more experienced in food plots. I've asked a lot of questions and some of you have helped out tremendously.

So I thought I had a tractor lined up to disc up my plots but that didn't work out and this was the only weekend I had to work on the plots again for a while so I got creative. I searched Google and found something like I had in mind and luckily I had most of the materials on hand. I put together a contraption to break up the soil and headed out this morning to give it a try.
0ec7e68ccf340e5c4e70343c66c32374.jpg

4acc8696feb47d88e7d37f3fe900ed3f.jpg

It actually worked quite well other than having to stop and clear debris every few yards. I think I'll make a few changes before using it again but overall I was satisfied with my $30 redneck contraption.

After breaking up the surface I broadcast ladino clover and turnips. They're calling for rain here tomorrow so hopefully in a few weeks I'll have something popping up.

9d3f0de5c53889c5811522aae8f5a465.jpg

dc8498f900699c0b4ada27abe2f28077.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would add some winter rye. You can get a bag of rye from most farm and seed places for less than 20 bucks. The deer could munched down your clover this fall. The rye will be a good buffer and give them more food this fall than the clover. Be sure to lime the plot.
Your contraption will work just fine in that sandy soil.
good job

rustvyper

Ten Pointer
Ha! Getting it done with the toro. I love it. Do yourself a favor & take a soil sample. It's free to get it evaluated by the ag dept.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Look in craigslist, There's local wheat to be had very cheap. New crop stuff that will germinate well.
Great innovation and getting things done.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That's awesome! We are getting a very late start but I will probably do something like that behind my truck this weekend.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
I forgot to take any pics but I checked on the plots last weekend and I already had a good bit of the clover coming up. This rain that's in the forecast should get things going even better soon.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's really an interesting approach. I'd like to see some recent pics of how things are growing.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Well I finally got back out yesterday to pull cards and check the plot. I was concerned that I got the seed too deep but the clover has begun to pop up in pretty much the entire plot so I was pleased. The turnips I had to broadcast by hand so they are too bunched up and probably won't get as big as intended but they'll do for my first attempt.

It's by no means a perfect plot but I'm pleased to have anything growing on my first real attempt at anything past throwing seed out on a path. I know what not to do on a few things now and this spring I'll hopefully improve my methods a little.

First plot
0171e8f5d343f558b5847ec710c712df.jpg

18c8032bd96cda8ca013f20d3086e4ae.jpg

Second plot
d23dc453f75c885c2fa1051d082537a8.jpg

c8c22281aef256a79dffa591b611b6a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk