1937 Dodge D-5 4 Door Touring Sedan

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
PROGRESS!

Financial restructure is completed for looming retirement, early on on time, it dont' matter now!

I own the jeep!

Huge medical debt moved off the table!

$10K available for the Dodge.

Come on now, get that corvette off the floor and get a real car under the Flame Wrench!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
A good talk with the shop owner this morning. Our first contact in 20+ years. Quite a bit of laughing over the joke played. Follow up email to reestablish contact and get the evaluation processes rolling as we await the final movement of the ol Dodge from stuck in the corner to shop floor.....

"Mr. Walker,

Good to talk to you this morning. Contact information is listed below the signature. Quite a secret and glad to have it out of the bag!

Ideal desire is running/driving/done. Somewhere in between works too. Ultimate goal is a look like it was in the late 50s. Metallic blue (current metallic color or perhaps Cobra Midnight Blue Metallic), close to stock ride height but with modern agility on the road as an occasional town and highway driver.

As we discussed, if the budget demands less than Running/Driving/Done, priority starts with body work and paint + glass/rubber, with a nod toward doing much of the heavy lifting underneath to avoid paint damage/painted panel removal later.

If there is any question on the existing engine/trans don't bother to square and level/finalize the mounting as we can discuss new power train.

The old 4.10 dodge rear must go in favor of a modern rear. Any make is fine....would be convenient to match the make to the power train, i.e. Ford to Ford, Chevy to Chevy, etc.

Original suspension under it is 5000 miles since being rebuilt, however it's 25 odd years since it was greased or rolled. If smart, I am open to a modern suspension, but, would like to avoid the super low hot rod look.

Power disc/drum or disc/disc on a dual master cylinder are pretty much a mandatory safety item as well as lap belts (2 front, 2 or 3 rear).

Much more to it I am sure. I'll be sure to rely heavily on you and your craftsmen's knowledge and expertise.

Mark me more than a bit excited!

Standing by here. (Well, actually, jumping up and down waiving and shouting!)"

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Dad was down at Classic Automotive again last night. He and Jim had another grand hoot and holler at my expense. Much additional talk about Ol Bessie and at least from an initial look....The projected budget for a running driving painted car (using the existing 200 Ford/C4) may be excessive.

They had a lot of talk about concerns for a zero mileage engine overhauled 20+ years ago, same for the trans. And, at this point, we all recognize that a 74 Maverick engine and trans is in fact an antique power pack. In addition, much discussion of the 78 year old suspension (5000 miles from rebuild and 20+ years growing stiff from lack of use) which lead to how little can the car be lowered by placing an independent front with rack/pinion and possible replacement power pack options.

In some follow up discussion with Dad this afternoon, it seems the Corvette is nearly ready for paint and could be moving off the floor in a couple weeks thus freeing up the 3 man team to tackle Ol Bessie.

For now, we are exploring the budget and whether it allows for a total driver quality do over with modern suspension (without getting ghetto low) and the possibility of a V6 or 8 cylinder and 4 speed overdrive automatic...........

WeeeOhhhhhh! Ol Bessie could come back not only pretty but strong too!

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Emailed Dad and the Shop today. Copy below.....

"Dad, Mr. Walker,

As we move forward, get closer to pulling Ol Bessie out of the corner.....

And giving our tentative discussion of new suspension and power-pack......

Dream engine would be a Chrysler Hemi with auto trans.....Mid to Late 50s
Desoto Fire Dome 330 attached to a 727 Torque Flight or Ford C4 but I am
sure I can't afford it...

But, I wonder if it'd be possible to capture a modern/low mileage 5.7L Dodge
Hemi, auto trans, computer, harness and fly by wire throttle from a wrecked
RT or Ram truck at a price point comparable to say, a Good Wrench 350/4l60E?

Just food for thought."

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Its decision time.

Mr. Walker just called.

Been waitin on this call for 2 months and 23 years!

Emptying the junk out of Ol Bessie today.

Tomorrow or Thursday its being pulled to the shop floor and the resurection commences.

We agreed to start on the underside and work up and out.

So, on deck is:

1. Total modern suspension and rear axle + Power brakes and the possibility of rack and pinion (and depending on the power pack, possibly power rack and pinion)

2. All accident damage repaired and then primer and possibly paint.

3. Engine/trans choices are limitless and include the current 200 L6 with C4, GM 350 or Vortec with 4L60E and depending on budget, one of the millions of 5.7L Mopar Hemi engines with automatic overdrive trans!

Meso excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Looks we need to try to make this a V8. Dad called, he's on his way to the shop now. Told me a story.

Way back, early 60s.......engine was still a flat six, 30 over, 60 off head, offy 2bbl intake, twin Carter B&Bs and split manifold dual exhaust.....he drove the car from Hagerstown MD to Fort Knox, KY. Stuffed a small block Chevy V8 in the trunk, tied down the deck lid and drove it back to Hagerstown.

Seems, he always wanted it to be an 8.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
You need to post us up some pic's if you can as the build progresses, sounds like a load of fun working on that car..No one loves old cars and trucks more than I do.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I'm tryin. I'm 650 miles from the car! Dad took crap photos early on so I wouldn't be able to tell that any work had been done over the years!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Its cool. I'm achin for photos too. Dad is the intermediary and primary mouthpiece on sight as he lives about 15 miles from the shop. Talked with him this morning....got him up at 730 on the phone!!!! He has V8 fever and can't decide yet whether we should be 6 or GM8 or Hemi. He promised a trip each week or so to snap photos as the work go's along. Good news is there are no other cars on the floor. Ol Bessy is the prime project for the build team! For now, we are waiting the initial assessment and have agreed to get the suspension and body repairs well in hand.....the drive train can wait a bit. But, it appears my Safari Rifle is sold and the budget increased a bit and we still have an $800 credit in place for work that has been ongoing thru the years. Most of the panels cut from a spare sedan in 1993 are on hand at the shop or in Dads atic and the tough one, rear roll pan under the trunk lid, was ordered many years back when that part was still available. Much of the floor is already done, trunk area is done, firewall out, much of the cowel damage cut away, etc. I can't remember if the Hood ornament is still with the car but I believe all of the stainless trim is there and we'll figure out the hood ram later too. For the time being......I am totally distracted from everything but this project and prolly lucky I'm not near the shop as I'd be in their daily to "see" stuff and prolly mostly slowing progress.

I suppose eventually I'll retire the Ol John Lee avatar photo and slide in a snapshot of Ol Bessy!

Last edited:

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Hey sharps, I can tell ya, it excites me just to read what you post about the old Dodge...That is some project but I am sure all the time and money spent on that old machine will be well worth it..Makes me wish like Hades I had never sold my old '65 Chevy pickup, it was the stepside model with a wood floor. Would love to have that thing back with a 283 pumping out the power under the hood...Anyway, I'm glad for you and your Dad and the old Dodge, hope it all turns out good for both of you..

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I had a 64 (283 3 speed) and 65 (250 5 speed OD) C10 stepsides here untill recently. 64 was taken out in a head on by a south o the border invader and the 65 sold to a pal so I could restructure the garage and finances and get a replacment 37 Dodge. I figger I am lucky to get another shot at the Ol Dodge and I'll push as long as the money lasts to drag it into the 21st Century.....One last shot at it and I gotta try not to screw it up again.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
9 July 2015 Email to Dad and Mr. Walker....

Mr. Walker,

I've made some decisions, one's I hope will help the process.

BUDGET: Its growing somewhat. Sold a Safari Rifle. Working on a craigslist ad for the Wife, grandkids and four dogs that should net some additional funds if I can get them ALL to bathe before taking photos. Kick the budget to an estimated $18000 to $19000 with, I believe, up to $13000 available this month.

POWER PACK: Looks we need to try to make this a V8. Dad recently told me a story. Way back, early 60s.......engine was still a flat six, 30 over, 60 off head, offy 2bbl intake, twin Carter B&Bs and split manifold dual exhaust.....he drove the car from Hagerstown MD to Fort Knox, KY. Stuffed a small block Chevy V8 in the trunk, tied down the deck lid and drove it back to Hagerstown.

- Pull the Ford 200/C4 and plan for a V8/Auto Overdrive.

- Used low mileage 5.7L hemi's with trans and ECU/Harness unknown appear to be in the $4000 range. ECU, Harness, tins and peripherals can drive up to another couple thousand if not included.

- Setting Hemi Fever aside, make the decision points time and budget. At the time your Craftsmen are prepared to "Set" the power pack if our joint efforts have not procured a Hemi with Auto OD, move forward with a GM Small Block and Auto OD. There is significant nostalgic precedent for GM driveline and I'm very pleased to have either between the rails.

- Gearing in the differential as suited to an Auto OD trans. We'll not be drag racing. Old men driving around town looking for cokes and hotdogs and occasionally on the highways to get to a deer stand.

STEERING: No brainer, with a hot rod engine go's power rack and pinion. When you get to the steering column, wondering if it'll be possible to fit the original Dodge steering wheel to the new shaft?

WIPERS: Electric to replace the original vacuum

UPHOLSTERY: Continue to leave it off the table/out of the budget for the time being.

And because the kid in me can't resist asking.......

- "Dad, Mr. Walker, it's been two days. Is the car done yet?"

Last edited:

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah a 5.7 Hemi would be nice or a small block Chevy I am partial to those, I love a 350 engine..It would be very cool to have the original steering wheel in the car if possible..I would love to see that car when its finished and road ready, heck I would love to see it now..:) It would be cool driving down the road on a Sunday afternoon while sipping on a Coke and listening to that V-8 purr like a kitten and watching heads turn when they see that old Dodge..

Saw a '76 Camaro on Craigslist this morning not a lot of money for the car but as usual the guy has let the car set out in the weather and rust badly...I often wonder why people won't throw a tarp at least over an old car, that would help some..I have always wanted a 2nd generation Camaro but I don't want a rust bucket...

Keep us posted on the old Dodge...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Goodwrench 350 crate engines can be bought very reasonable if you have connections. I have a friend that just bought one for $1686 prior to tax. I thought that was a steel since that was within a few dollars of what I paid for one 12 years ago. That is a throttle body ready engine.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Goodwrench 350 crate engines can be bought very reasonable if you have connections. I have a friend that just bought one for $1686 prior to tax. I thought that was a steel since that was within a few dollars of what I paid for one 12 years ago. That is a throttle body ready engine.

Jegs has had some really good prices on Chevy crate engines lately. Last summer they had a brand new 350 long block and a 350 tranny for around $2300 bucks.. Jegs has a 350 long block for $1459.99 and so they say free shipping as of this morning.. Fifteen years ago I bought one for my old Chevy truck and paid $1260 for it..

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, we'll see what comes up. I'm sure it'll be a bit till we make that decision. But long blocks may not be the route taken as they don't usually include the periferals. Not sure if we'll us a new engine or a solid low mileage power pack from a wreck in order to get the whole ball of wax in Factory Trim. I am sure we won't be using a TH350 trans though. It'll be an overdrive auto, at least that's the plan so far!

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Email of 22 July 2015

"Pops,

Your and Mr. Walkers 23 year old joke is wearing on me.

I am daily balancing my new found exuberance for Ol Bessy against the knowledge that I can't be nagging Mr. Walker twice each day for a status update!

I also realize that you are fully engaged each day making sure my Mother is and remains anywhere from mildly irritated to crazy angry with your behavior.

But.....

If I don't soon get a photo of the car out of the corner and on the floor my head will explode."

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Told the shop to yank the 200 L6/C4 for a V8 with OD auto. When we get closer will figure either Mopar or GM power pack. But for now, they can pick the right spring rates for the new suspension knowing it'll be a much heavier power pack. That, plus, the weight will make for greater controlability with the proposed power rack and pinion steering.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figger whats going on with this thing. After a 23 year old secret I am wondering why I've not received any billing or initial estimates. I just don't know whats in the works but am itchin to spend the money! Most likely, they's still researching the build but as I've learned, never can tell with Pops.

Last edited:

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Well of course the main thing with any rebuild is to take the time to do it right if you are gonna put lots of money in it..The car will be worth a lot more money when finished if you do that also as you well know...I'm thinking about buying another Chevy pickup and fix it up a bit and maybe flip it..Than again at my age its a tough cookie to tackle for me, just something to do around here though to pass the time..I just love messing with old cars and trucks..I love the old Chevy square bodies from 73-86, the 87 models were the same body style but with fuel injection which I don't care to work with..

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
My fav C10 body is 57 and 64-66.

I love them as well, can't find any that aren't rust buckets though unless they have been restored. I can't pay the price for the restored ones..I had a '65 C-10 that I sold, wish I had kept ole Goose...

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Started in ernest last Monday. After inventorying all the spare panels from the doner car, pricing out all the bits to stage the budget of body, paint, suspension, power, etc.

Full time worker on the project and here we are, ready for the first infusion of cash into this long awaited project......

Near fully stripped, commencing completion of the accident damage, in primer soon. From there we hit the suspension. After that, discussion of remaining budget and the potential for V8 Power......last is paint and upholstery.......as the budget holds out!

Here is Ol Bessy as a bare naked lady....

AaFPySn.png