canoe or kayak?

bgbuckdwn

Don't have the money for a boat, but I'm looking to possibly get a sit on top kayak or a canoe for duck hunting. I do most of my hunting in waders in a swamp or going with a couple of buddies that have boats, but I want to be able to venture out onto larger waters on my own. Any recommendations or is this idea completely absurd?

Gyrene

If you plan to get in and out of the boat then a nice wide sit on top kayak beats a canoe any day of the week. If you are going to stay in the boat then a canoe can be bought for a whole lot less then a kayak. I like my Stealth 1200 sneak boat...nice and stable, easy to get in and out of with waders on, and tracks very well. The price on the Stealth 1200 is pretty good too for what your getting. Yes, you can find cheap kayaks but you get what you pay for in todays manufacturing world. For $800 the Stealth 1200 is a steal and the Stealth Phantom can be had for $500 I believe, along with the Final Attack which is decent too.

And no I am not sponsored by Beavertail boats...I just love their products. http://www.explorebeavertail.com/sneakboats.html

bgbuckdwn

i have looked at the beavertail boats, also got my eye on the wilderness systems ride 135. It is very unlikely that I will go my whole hunt in the boat, probably use the kayak to get me to my spot and to paddle out to retrieve. Are the beavertail boats any good for fishing?

TeamLockedUP

I would go with an otter outdoor boat there great for the money and will be way more stable than a canoe they have a motor attachment also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gyrene

I fish out of my Stealth 1200 all the time and the Stealth 2000 ($1000) is great for fishing as well. I can stand in my 1200 all day long and with the add on seats I can sit comfortably like I was on a bass boat...nice and high as compared to a kayak where you are laying on the water line. I was torn for the longest time about buying a sit on top kayak or a jon boat then I discovered the Stealth boats and I am so happy I purchased one. It gets used year round, have a 30b thrust trolling motor attached to the add on motor mount and it trucks along pretty good. They sell a bunch of add ons for them and like any other plastic boat you can simply screw on any attachment you want, wherever you want.

Check out their videos and others on YouTube. You get a lot of boat for the price.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
The beavertail boats seem nice but I'll throw another one in the mix. I hunt and fish out of a M-98 Creekboat and love it. They are much lighter than the beavertail boats and cheaper too! I will say that because of their size and the plastic hull, you can't stand up and the bottom has some "flex" in it with a load but i'm still very pleased with my boat. I built a blind for it and use it as a layout or take the blind off and use it to haul gear acrossed impoundments.

Just adding in another variable for ya;)

Gyrene

Yeah, forgot about Creekboat...they are a NC company if I remember correctly. The reason I went with the Stealth was that being able to stand was a MUST for me. Price wise the Creekboats are the same as the Stealth Phantoms....the Stealths hold more weight but do weight about 15 pounds more. My Stealth 1200 weights in at 130lbs barebones but supports up to 550lbs so I can throw a lot of stuff in it or carry an extra person. I take my kids out with me often and having the ability to support the added weight and being able to stand while fishing made it a lock for me.

I have to go with canoe, love an open boat. I have a 14' mad river, white, flat, even been in the surf past the breakers. You can haul more gear kids whatever. Painted camo myself. Check paddle Creek in Raleigh for used boats. A lot of places sell their fleet after the season so check other float trip outfitters.

TeamLockedUP

The stealth 1200or2000 Offers stability I had 2 200lbs men 2dz decoys 2 blind bags battery 2 shotguns in my 2000 and never felt unsafe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowCamp

Button Buck
Firing a shotgun from a canoe can sometimes be an interesting experience. Creekboats and Stealth boats are wider for a reason...

Gyrene

A buddy of mine had one of those in Mississippi and he loved his...I tried it and they track very well but didn't fair too well when I tried climbing in and out from deeper water. I'm a bigger guy though so that may have been a factor.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Mine is a flat back and a little wider. It's not the easiest in water over waist deep but it's possible. I usually have a pole with me that helps. I'll take that problem over rolling every time you go over a log and being able to float in 4 inches.

Last edited:

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
Kayak.

Second choice would without question be a creek boat. If I got a creek boat, I'd get an M10 without the livewell.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 487_n.jpg
    487_n.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
Do you prefer the 12' over the 10' or are they a toss up as far as stability and maneuverability?

With a dog, I prefer the 12. I can get my gun and 6 decoys in the bow. 6 more decoys in the stern, blind bag strapped on top, and still room for my retriever. If I need a dog stand, it rides on the stern. The 10 foot just gives you less room for decoys and gear, but they handle very much the same.

I will say that if I had a lab instead of a spaniel, I'd get a creek boat. An 80 lb. lab is a little much in a kayak, although I have done it.