What kinda fish is this?

JPearson

Six Pointer
I tried loading picture but wouldn't load up looks like a catfish but no whiskers has teeth an body stays same all way to tail with not much change guess he was bout 7 or 8lbs try n load pic again later

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
lots of names for those creatures...but they get the best recognition for destroying a $7.00 balsa lure on the first few casts. Then they get called all kinds of names that aren't in the dictionary.
They are fun though and love a spinner bait !

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
I've heard them called Mudfish. My kids like catching them. I caught enough to pretty much hate them. Kinda like Pinfish in the surf. Only uglier and inedible ;)

dixiedeerslayer

Ten Pointer
Here are two of our biggest. Mine was 9.3 and my boys was 10.2

Attachments

• IMG_20140601_094515.jpg
    IMG_20140601_094515.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20140727_185549.jpg
    IMG_20140727_185549.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 2

Redneckhero91

Four Pointer
I've heard them called Mudfish. My kids like catching them. I caught enough to pretty much hate them. Kinda like Pinfish in the surf. Only uglier and inedible ;)

Bowfin are actually pretty good eating. I've had a couple before, when I would visit family in Florida.

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
lots of names for those creatures...but they get the best recognition for destroying a $7.00 balsa lure on the first few casts. Then they get called all kinds of names that aren't in the dictionary.
They are fun though and love a spinner bait !

Yep, they will destroy a spinner bait in a hurry.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've heard them called Blackfish, Grinnel (sp?), cypress bass ...among the others already mentioned

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Mudfish, Bowfin, Blackfish all the same fish just different names for them . They certainly are edible the smaller ones I have eaten many of them but the bigger ones well not for me. Prehistoric creatures and very ugly, and they will bite you..