Why do bad things happen to good people?

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I have been asked this by so many people. It seems to defy logic that a loving God would allow faithful servants of his to experience terrible tragedies. Young people being killed in car accidents, men in their 30s dying of cancer,etc. While people who live a dishonest and immoral life seem to prosper. Talking with many different ministers and pastors about it, the answers many give for that i find unsatisfactory. The most common i hear is that "it was his time," "it was gods will,"or we can't understand all of gods purposes." None of those answers make sense to me. The Bible is clear and concise in it's explanation of why those things happen.

The most common misconception i see that people have is who is controlling the world. 90% of the people i ask that question say "god." I guess that's what most of us would assume...after all God created the world and everything in it, why wouldn't he be in charge of it? But actually the Bible states at 1 John 5:19 that "although we originate with God, the whole world is in the power of the wicked one." the Bible speaks of the time when satan rebelled against God and was cast out of heaven down to earth. He has been ruling the earth ever since. That makes a lot more sense...no wonders we see all the problems in the world.
But what about God saying he will bless those who serve them? And why does he allow faithful people to experience terrible tragedy and hardship? Seems slightly contradictory doesn't it?
Well the Bible itself answers that question also.
Eccl 9:11 says "the swift do not always win the race, nor do the mighty win the battle, nor do the wise always have the food, nor do the intelligent always have the riches, nor do those with knowledge always have success, because time and unforseen occurrences befall them all."
In other words, God lovingly gave humans free will, even though we aren't fit to govern ourselves (being imperfect). God is not obligated to intervene on behalf of a person who has fallen on hard times or has an accent befall them due to decisions or actions of another person. Sometimes accidents happen. It doesn't mean God needed another angel in heaven. Our God is loving, and would neverwillfully hurt people by taking their loved one or causing them to fall on hard times.
What he does promise is that we will not be tested beyond what we can bear.
1 cor 10:13

Just wanted to share since i have been asked about it alot lately

spittinfire

Six Pointer
Thanks for sharing. I find comfort in this as I've been going through a rough patch myself. For me it also brought to mind the trials of Job.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Job was a very good example for us. He was described as the only blameless man on the whole earth at the time.
Job 1:8 describes satan roving about on the earth, again confirming he is here, and then he taunted God by suggesting the only reason job was faithful was because he was blessing him. Pretty humbling to read about everything job experienced, yet he never blamed God or wavered in his faith. And God blessed him for it....talk about thumbing his nose at the devil!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good post..it's not always pleasant, but at least we know all our bases are covered in the end.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I agree with you, I think you have a good handle on living life here on this earth and knowing the God that you believe in. People think that God is in control of everything. Billy Graham said once that God can be in control of everything but that He does not go where He is not invited and as you referenced He is not obligated to save or rescue anyone from their encounters here on earth. I've stated this before and it sounds harsh, but sometimes good, Godly, well meaning, people do stupid things and make bad decisions and terrible choices. Sometimes their bad decisions and stupid choices cause someone else to get hurt or killed because they are living life in a dangerous world. This earth is full of disease, evil, sickness, and many other things that can and do hurt good innocence people. Why doesn't God stop it? Because when Adam sinned he gave up his lease on the earth and Satan grabbed it.

I know I've posted this before but I do not believe in a baby killing, cancer causing, car wrecking, hurricane sending God. God is love. Satan is not. Satan is presently ruling this sinful place we live in.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I agree with you, I think you have a good handle on living life here on this earth and knowing the God that you believe in. People think that God is in control of everything. Billy Graham said once that God can be in control of everything but that He does not go where He is not invited and as you referenced He is not obligated to save or rescue anyone from their encounters here on earth. I've stated this before and it sounds harsh, but sometimes good, Godly, well meaning, people do stupid things and make bad decisions and terrible choices. Sometimes their bad decisions and stupid choices cause someone else to get hurt or killed because they are living life in a dangerous world. This earth is full of disease, evil, sickness, and many other things that can and do hurt good innocence people. Why doesn't God stop it? Because when Adam sinned he gave up his lease on the earth and Satan grabbed it.

I know I've posted this before but I do not believe in a baby killing, cancer causing, car wrecking, hurricane sending God. God is love. Satan is not. Satan is presently ruling this sinful place we live in.
Well said!

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
Good post by OP and ZG. The only caveat I would add is that some will take this to far and try to say "the Devil made me do it" when in all actuality the sin within the person is to blame. I have taken some classes and done some extensive reading on the problem of evil and would highly recommend anyone interested in reading a book titled "The Creation Order Theodicy" by Dr. Bruce Little. I may not agree 100% with everything he holds to but I am about 98+%!

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Good post by OP and ZG. The only caveat I would add is that some will take this to far and try to say "the Devil made me do it" when in all actuality the sin within the person is to blame. I have taken some classes and done some extensive reading on the problem of evil and would highly recommend anyone interested in reading a book titled "The Creation Order Theodicy" by Dr. Bruce Little. I may not agree 100% with everything he holds to but I am about 98+%!

Many times people will give the devil way too much credit when the problem is them. I guess if you think about it most of us can get into all kinds of trouble with no help from the devil. Kind of brings up what I said about good people doing stupid things.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I have been asked this by so many people. It seems to defy logic that a loving God would allow faithful servants of his to experience terrible tragedies. Young people being killed in car accidents, men in their 30s dying of cancer,etc. While people who live a dishonest and immoral life seem to prosper. Talking with many different ministers and pastors about it, the answers many give for that i find unsatisfactory. The most common i hear is that "it was his time," "it was gods will,"or we can't understand all of gods purposes." None of those answers make sense to me. The Bible is clear and concise in it's explanation of why those things happen.

The most common misconception i see that people have is who is controlling the world. 90% of the people i ask that question say "god." I guess that's what most of us would assume...after all God created the world and everything in it, why wouldn't he be in charge of it? But actually the Bible states at 1 John 5:19 that "although we originate with God, the whole world is in the power of the wicked one." the Bible speaks of the time when satan rebelled against God and was cast out of heaven down to earth. He has been ruling the earth ever since. That makes a lot more sense...no wonders we see all the problems in the world.
But what about God saying he will bless those who serve them? And why does he allow faithful people to experience terrible tragedy and hardship? Seems slightly contradictory doesn't it?
Well the Bible itself answers that question also.
Eccl 9:11 says "the swift do not always win the race, nor do the mighty win the battle, nor do the wise always have the food, nor do the intelligent always have the riches, nor do those with knowledge always have success, because time and unforseen occurrences befall them all."
In other words, God lovingly gave humans free will, even though we aren't fit to govern ourselves (being imperfect). God is not obligated to intervene on behalf of a person who has fallen on hard times or has an accent befall them due to decisions or actions of another person. Sometimes accidents happen. It doesn't mean God needed another angel in heaven. Our God is loving, and would neverwillfully hurt people by taking their loved one or causing them to fall on hard times.
What he does promise is that we will not be tested beyond what we can bear.
1 cor 10:13

Just wanted to share since i have been asked about it alot lately

If this world is ruled by the devil then why do so many people give thanks to god for the things that happen in this world? When something good happens its gods blessing but when something bad happens its the devil. According to what you just said the devil is in control here so nothing that happens here is from god.

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
If this world is ruled by the devil then why do so many people give thanks to god for the things that happen in this world? When something good happens its gods blessing but when something bad happens its the devil. According to what you just said the devil is in control here so nothing that happens here is from god.

Not sure the OP was intending to say that at all. I understood him to be saying that the reason bad junk happens is because we live in a fallen world that Satan has been given limited power over. The extent of that power is debatable when it comes to individuals. What we do know is that all men are sinners and are responsible for their actions and not Satan. I think the OP was trying to answer the question of how an all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-loving God could allow such evil in the world. We must remember Satan is not like God. Satan is not all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving, or omnipresent (everywhere at one time). Satan is a created being. The fact that we have the gospel in this world is a good thing which comes from God which the OP appears to affirm.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If this world is ruled by the devil then why do so many people give thanks to god for the things that happen in this world? When something good happens its gods blessing but when something bad happens its the devil.

Kinda interesting how that works isn't it? :)

Actually Job said it like this, "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" (Job 2:10)

In fact, the book of Job is a GREAT insight into the spiritual world - who is really in control of this Earth and just exactly how much control they have, the limited/unlimited power of God and Satan and just who is responsible for the good and the bad that we experience.

I'll cut to the chase. Ultimate power + ultimate knowledge = ultimate responsibility

One can say that tragedy occurs because of sin in the world, poor decisions, or Satan himself - and all of those may be true in any given circumstance. But the truth is that God has the ultimate power to save or not save anyone from ANY calamity that comes their way. He has the ultimate knowledge of the situation and ultimate power to stop it, so the choice is His. I would argue that any theology that would suggest that God is not supremely Sovereign over all creation is an attempt to relieve God of some human-assessed wrongdoing. As if lowly, sinful Man could ever charge God with evil intent. It is due to our lack of omniscience that we feel the need to strip God of His sovereignty in order to remove his responsibility for the unexplainable evils of this world.

The question is not so much "Where does evil originate?", but rather "Who is in control?" Is God Sovereign or is He not?

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
Kinda interesting how that works isn't it? :)

Actually Job said it like this, "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" (Job 2:10)

In fact, the book of Job is a GREAT insight into the spiritual world - who is really in control of this Earth and just exactly how much control they have, the limited/unlimited power of God and Satan and just who is responsible for the good and the bad that we experience.

I'll cut to the chase. Ultimate power + ultimate knowledge = ultimate responsibility

One can say that tragedy occurs because of sin in the world, poor decisions, or Satan himself - and all of those may be true in any given circumstance. But the truth is that God has the ultimate power to save or not save anyone from ANY calamity that comes their way. He has the ultimate knowledge of the situation and ultimate power to stop it, so the choice is His. I would argue that any theology that would suggest that God is not supremely Sovereign over all creation is an attempt to relieve God of some human-assessed wrongdoing. As if lowly, sinful Man could ever charge God with evil intent. It is due to our lack of omniscience that we feel the need to strip God of His sovereignty in order to remove his responsibility for the unexplainable evils of this world.

The question is not so much "Where does evil originate?", but rather "Who is in control?" Is God Sovereign or is He not?

If God is not Sovereign then the God of the Bible ceases to exist or one is forced to believe in polytheism. There is no such thing as "supremely" sovereign. Either God is sovereign or not. There is no need to qualify sovereign. As Christians we believe there is only one God and therefore by default he is sovereign. Now some will differ on how "meticulous" God is when it comes to providence but sadly many equate the terms sovereign and providence when they are completely different terms with totally different meanings. Sovereignty speaks to God's essence while providence speaks to God's action within this created order which he has created. I think the question does not really have anything to do with Sovereignty but what is the created order? What are the "governing rules" (created order) the Sovereign God has put in place? What role does God, Satan, and man have in within this created order he has established. My lack of omniscience can not strip God of anything especially His sovereignty as I am a created being from God. Hawk I would be interested in hearing how you would answer the atheist who asks that if God is all-powerful and all-loving then why is there evil in the world? ?

Last edited:

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
I would be interested in hearing how you would answer the atheist who says God does not exist because of all the evil in the world?

Have read a couple different things lately that made pretty good sense ...to me atleast... that answer that question.

1) Does cold exist? No....cold does not exist.....cold is the description given to something that is without heat...you can only "cool" something to a certain amount.... (can't remember exact coldest temperature) then it will not get any colder.....it is completely without heat. You can continue to add heat to something indefinitly.....
Does darkness exist? No.....darkness is a name we have given to a place with absolutely no light....you can have a little light....good light....and light so bright it's immeasurable....but dark is only a word for when there is no presence of light.....so let's look at evil.....is it evil? Or is it just the word we have given to someone or something that has no presence of God? I believe it is the LACK of the world's seeking of God that has left what we call evil...

2) The atheist barber. The barber told a man, who was getting a trim, that there was no God.....The man said surly there is....The barber said that with all the evil in this world...There is no way that God could be real or the evil wouldn't be so wide spread......The man thought of a response but couldn't think of one.....He payed for his cut and walked out....As he walked down the street he noticed a homeless man...with hair down to the middle of his back and a scruffy beard....He stopped and knew what his argument would be. He walked back in the barbershop and looked at the barber and said .....Barbers do not exist! The puzzled barber said..."Son, that's crazy, you are looking at one right here!"....The man responded, " Nope, if there were barbers there wouldn't be so many people with long hair everywhere I look!"
.....The Barber looked at the man and smiled and said, "I am a barber...but I can't help anyone that does come to me".....The man winked and said, "Neither will God......"

.......it seems simple to me.....

Last edited:

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
Have read a couple different things lately that made pretty good sense ...to me atleast... that answer that question.

1) Does cold exist? No....cold does not exist.....cold is the description given to something that is without heat...you can only "cool" something to a certain amount.... (can't remember exact coldest temperature) then it will not get any colder.....it is completely without heat. You can continue to add heat to something indefinitly.....
Does darkness exist? No.....darkness is a name we have given to a place with absolutely no light....you can have a little light....good light....and light so bright it's immeasurable....but dark is only a word for when there is no presence of light.....so let's look at evil.....is it evil? Or is it just the word we have given to someone or something that has no presence of God? I believe it is the LACK of the world's seeking of God that has left what we call evil...

2) The atheist barber. The barber told a man, who was getting a trim, that there was no God.....The man said surly there is....The barber said that with all the evil in this world...There is no way that God could be real or the evil wouldn't be so wide spread......The man thought of a response but couldn't think of one.....He payed for his cut and walked out....As he walked down the street he noticed a homeless man...with hair down to the middle of his back and a scruffy beard....He stopped and knew what his argument would be. He walked back in the barbershop and looked at the barber and said .....Barbers do not exist! The puzzled barber said..."Son, that's crazy, you are looking at one right here!"....The man responded, " Nope, if there were barbers there wouldn't be so many people with long hair everywhere I look!"
.....The Barber looked at the man and smiled and said, "I am a barber...but I can't help anyone that does come to me".....The man winked and said, "Neither will God......"

.......it seems simple to me.....

I pretty much agree with your assessment of point 1 that evil is simply the privation of good. I might should have asked the question for Hawk a little differently. How would you respond to an atheist who asks that if God is all-powerful and all-loving then why is there evil in the world? Many atheists find a contradiction between the existence of God as all-powerful and all-loving and the existence of evil. Therefore they claim to be atheist.

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
I pretty much agree with your assessment of point 1 that evil is simply the privation of good. I might should have asked the question for Hawk a little differently. How would you respond to an atheist who asks that if God is all-powerful and all-loving then why is there evil in the world? Many atheists find a contradiction between the existence of God as all-powerful and all-loving and the existence of evil. Therefore they claim to be atheist.

My explanation is fairly simple....

I am a father....i am not all knowing but i know enough to know that my kids are going to mess up....i know some of the things they are going to do that they don't even know yet
I ALSO love everything about my children....and nothing will change that....but nothing I say or do is going to keep my girls from not making some mistakes....

GOD knows we are going to "mess up" and make mistakes.....He still loves us....He tell us all how we should be and how we should act (the Bible)....but he won't control us....He allows us to have free will and we create the evil....we (humans) choose to be evil even if we know better......Could God stop all of it? In a second He could.....why doesn't He? Because he has shown us the path...it is 100% up to us to follow it.....As I have done with my children (on a much smaller scale and without any of His abilities) ;)

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
My explanation is fairly simple....

I am a father....i am not all knowing but i know enough to know that my kids are going to mess up....i know some of the things they are going to do that they don't even know yet
I ALSO love everything about my children....and nothing will change that....but nothing I say or do is going to keep my girls from not making some mistakes....

GOD knows we are going to "mess up" and make mistakes.....He still loves us....He tell us all how we should be and how we should act (the Bible)....but he won't control us....He allows us to have free will and we create the evil....we (humans) choose to be evil even if we know better......Could God stop all of it? In a second He could.....why doesn't He? Because he has shown us the path...it is 100% up to us to follow it.....As I have done with my children (on a much smaller scale and without any of His abilities) ;)

Understood, as my views are similar to yours as well. I was just curious about Hawk's response in light of his use of sovereignty.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My lack of omniscience can not strip God of anything especially His sovereignty as I am a created being from God.

Of course it can't. That would be silly. And yet that is exactly what some would attempt to do. It is the unfortunate solution to a logical problem.

It goes something like this: Creator God is real, but unexplainable evil exists in the world. We know that God's power and knowledge has no limit. We know that God is loving and merciful. And yet, there is injustice, and evil abounds. Now, if God were in control, it follows that He would then be responsible for anything that happens on His watch. So if terrible evil, suffering, and calamity exist, and it does, then God would be responsible for evil. Therefore, the only possible explanation (by some) is that evil is either brought on by ourselves (sin) or Satan is in control of the world and God has given him authority (sovereignty) over this world. God must have relinquished his right to control the earth at the current time. It stems from the logical problem that evil exists and God can't allow evil to happen to good people. That would be injustice. That would make Him evil.

But, there is a fatal flaw in that line of thinking. God IS still sovereign, and we can SEE his hand at work. We see the miracles and the providence of God. So He IS still in control and he apparently does care enough to reach down from heaven and save us from evil... at times. Now we've got a real problem because God at times saves and at times allows evil and suffering to happen even to his obedient children. We've stumbled upon the realization that regardless of where evil originates and despite the power of Satan, God is ultimately responsible (chooses) to save or not to save. So when suffering happens God not only knew about it, but He had the power to stop it and didn't. At this point, those who do not know God charge him with evil and wash their hands of any God that would allow such. And many who do know him back up and say, it is Satan's fault and God was powerless to stop it.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I really can't think of a better illustration than the one God gave us in the story of Job.

Who is in control in the heavenly discussion?
Who is sovereign?
Who is responsible for Job's calamity?
What was God's response to Job's question, "why?"?
What was the end result for Job spiritually?
What was the end result for God's glory?

If you can answer the question of why Job was afflicted, then you can answer the question of why bad things happen to good people. There is no greater earthly calamity than what he experienced, and there was no more obedient (good) servant toward God at the time. So let's ask the same question Job asked. Why?

Last edited:

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Duck hunter pretty much nailed it in his response. Satan was given limited power over the earth by God. The only reason that happened is because Adam sinned. Satan was originally an angel in heaven, just like the countless others that are there. So he does have a measure of power, but only what was granted to him by God. Many ask why God would give power to control the world to such an evil being. The answer is simple. When Adam sinned, he was in effect questioning gods sovereignty. If God had simply forgiven Adam and there were no consequences for being disobedient, what motivation would there have been for subsequent generations to be faithful. God is always just and fair, so if he ignored Adams sin he would be obligated to ignore everyone else's too. There would be no sense of right or wrong. God allows us to be tested because we (by being sinners) are not worthy of divine protection...Adam messed that up for us...but by being tested and remaining faithful, we are able to show God that we are worthy of being saved in the end. If we were not ever tested, what excuse would any of us have to do good?
just because God does not intervene when satan tests us does not mean he won't bless (reward) us for being faithful.
The devil is incapable of doing good...so of course people are thankful to God when good things happen. God is not incapable of anything...he could kill the devil in an instant if he wanted to....but he has allowed him to remain so that we as humans have the opportunity to either save or condemn ourselves based on our actions

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
This can be a very touchy subject. "how can God let this happen?" "If there is a God why did he/she have to die?"

Matthew 5:45 (NKJV)
45. that ye may be the children of your Father who is in Heaven. For He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Bad things happen to Christians and good things happen to those who are not. God's instructions to all of us is to seek him first. Seeking him first does not make you exempt from earthly trials and tribulations. It strengthens you for when they come along. My wife's stepmother was one of the most devout Christian women that I have ever known. She was diagnosed with melanoma that spread through her body and into her brain. We watched her shrink from a lady full of life to her death bed. Through it all, she never complained that woe is me, or lamented, why did God let this happen. She knew that her faith in God was going to get her through, not on earth, but in heaven.

If you store up treasures on earth, then you receive your glory on earth. If you store up treasures in heaven, then you are not worried about what is going to happen on this earth. Do we as Christians get hurt, sick, die, get sad? Absolutely. But, it is temporary and heaven is eternal.

God Bless.

Last edited:

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I have never spent a whole lot of time thinking about it. They just do. Some things are not for us to understand. That is why we must have FAITH. As I get older I have come to accept that if I do not understand something, I am not MEANT to understand it. Just accept that God has a plan and my job is help where I can, not get in HIS way and do the right thing. It is simple. My life is kind of divided into two piles. Stuff I can do something about, and I think about that stuff. Stuff I can't do anything about and I leave that pile for God. :)

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I have never spent a whole lot of time thinking about it. They just do. Some things are not for us to understand. That is why we must have FAITH. As I get older I have come to accept that if I do not understand something, I am not MEANT to understand it. Just accept that God has a plan and my job is help where I can, not get in HIS way and do the right thing. It is simple. My life is kind of divided into two piles. Stuff I can do something about, and I think about that stuff. Stuff I can't do anything about and I leave that pile for God. :)
I can respect your point of view, but why do you think we aren't meant to understand certain things about God? I ask because God makes it clear in the scriptures that he wants us to understand him, and tells us how to do it.

Neh 8:8 "they continued reading aloud from the book, from the law of the true God, clearly explaining it and putting meaning into it; so they helped the people to understand what was being read."

Acts 8:30,31 "Phillip ran alongside him reading aloud Isaiah the prophet, and he said 'do you actually know what you are reading?' He said:'really, how could i ever do so unless someone guided me?'"

Rom 1:20 "his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the worlds creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and godship, so that they are inexcusable."

1 tim 4:15 "ponder over these things; be adsorbed in them, so that your advancement may be plainly seen by all people."

James 1:5 "if any one of you is lacking in wisdom, let him keep asking God, for he gives generously to all and without reproaching, and it will be given him."

Phil 1:9 "this is what i continue praying, that your love may abound still more and more with accurate knowledge and full discernment."

James 4:8 "draw close to God, and he will draw close to you."

The point is God wants us to know him. He does not remain aloof and distant from us....he wants us to be close to him....we can't be close to him if we don't understand what his purposes are. The answers are there in the Bible. We have to search for them, or even ask for his help to understand something better...but it is possible. Obviously we can not hope to know every single detail of his personality, we can't even do that with people we see every day....but as far as what gods purposes for humans are, he has provided the answers for us

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I can respect your point of view, but why do you think we aren't meant to understand certain things about God? I ask because God makes it clear in the scriptures that he wants us to understand him, and tells us how to do it.

Neh 8:8 "they continued reading aloud from the book, from the law of the true God, clearly explaining it and putting meaning into it; so they helped the people to understand what was being read."

Acts 8:30,31 "Phillip ran alongside him reading aloud Isaiah the prophet, and he said 'do you actually know what you are reading?' He said:'really, how could i ever do so unless someone guided me?'"

Rom 1:20 "his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the worlds creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and godship, so that they are inexcusable."

1 tim 4:15 "ponder over these things; be adsorbed in them, so that your advancement may be plainly seen by all people."

James 1:5 "if any one of you is lacking in wisdom, let him keep asking God, for he gives generously to all and without reproaching, and it will be given him."

Phil 1:9 "this is what i continue praying, that your love may abound still more and more with accurate knowledge and full discernment."

James 4:8 "draw close to God, and he will draw close to you."

The point is God wants us to know him. He does not remain aloof and distant from us....he wants us to be close to him....we can't be close to him if we don't understand what his purposes are. The answers are there in the Bible. We have to search for them, or even ask for his help to understand something better...but it is possible. Obviously we can not hope to know every single detail of his personality, we can't even do that with people we see every day....but as far as what gods purposes for humans are, he has provided the answers for us.

Last edited:

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I have felt much closer to God since I have stopped struggling to understand.....I let Him reveal to me what He will. Anyone who wants to teach me or lead me is full of his own biases about God, so I am not interested. I have a close relationship with God. It is just different from those who generally use the Bible to support their own ways of thinking and acting. I use my moral compass and my faith in Him to show me the right way.

And He may provide answers to me and often does, but I do not waste time struggling with things anymore. I trust Him absolutely.

It is actually pretty simple. I try to do the next right thing in each situation. And I pray for His help to know what that is.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
It's not so much that God doesn't want us to understand it's that we can't understand. Isaiah 55:8-9, God's ways and thoughts are not our ways and thoughts. His are much higher and He sees the whole picture where we only see that little dash called life on earth.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We are told that the sun rises and sets on all of us, we as Christians are not immune to the good or bad that the "world" has to offer. As long as our primary focus is on God's will for us, we can enjoy the fruits of out labors here on earth without negative consequences.
I believe that some folks have the idea that we are supposed to be "as God" instead of trying to be more like Jesus. If we were to know all there would be no instruction to continue to seek wisdom and daily supplication from the Word.