Dynamite a beaver hole?

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
Have had access to a beaver swamp for many years.

Anyway the beavers have cut all trees and now its a grown up jungle of brush and grass. and grass just mats across top of water and prevents ducks from liking it too much unless heavy flood rains.

A buddy knows a VV who has a demolition license and says he will blow several holes in the grass and make plenty open water and more appealing for the fowl.

Anybody ever done this or know if this is legal?

Thx

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I know my dad was a Wildlife Manager when I was a kid, and we dynamited several beavers dams.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
Yes, I have heard of people blowing up the dams in the past as the beavers were a nuisance and would cut trees.

Just wanted to make sure it is legal before I would consider it. Don't want the landowner getting in trouble.

Jmac

Beavers stopped the water flow feeding a pond I've got access to. Pond wasn't one of my best but I may have a new beaver swamp this year, just been to hot to walk the dry creek bed thru til I find it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We used to use ammonium nitrate soaked in diesel fuel and 1/4 stick of dynamite to set off the initial charge. But we also buried it in a pattern. This was years ago and was probably on the left side of legal. It made great holes that we used for years. I am guessing that there are wetlands issues that come into play now also.

Now since 9/11 you have to sign your life away just for ammonium nitrate and you better be using it for agricultural purposes only. Heck it has been 30 years maybe more since I bought any dynamite and at that point they were in the process of changing the regs. Last I heard you had to have a CDL with all the endorsements, can't haul the product and detonating device and actual product in the same vehicle and all has to be used withing 24 hours of purchase. Needless to say I didn't need any for farm use nor hunting to jump through those hoops.