I believe in a loving God

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I believe in a loving God [added more]

I figured the J O thread was about hashed out so after several inquires and requests via email I will try to post more on what I believe and how I live my life with joy in my heart. I can't do it all this morning but I'll get it on here over the next couple of days.

First of all I believe that God's blessings are never ending and that His blessings are always there for us. To receive those blessings in our daily lives we have to stay, as best we can, in obedience to His word. I'm not talking about living a sin free life, no one can do that, and I'm not talking about what man looks at as major sin. I know that sin is sin but our actions sometimes cause us to be in disobedience to God's word without committing sin. An example would be serving in your church or tithing, I can't find where it would be sin to not tithe or serve but the Bible tells us in God's word that we should so not doing so is in disobedience to that word. If we are in disobedience then we cannot fully receive all the blessings that God has for us. Think of it as being in the shower, if you want the water to fall on you then you have to stay under the shower head. Step out from under the shower head and you don't receive the full amount of water. It's the same with God's blessings, if you stay under the stream of blessings then you receive them. Step out from under in disobedience and God cannot bless you because if He blesses those in disobedience then the rest of His word is worthless.

We all get in disobedience on a regular basis but that does not mean that we have lost our salvation. Confession, repentance, and asking for forgiveness yields forgiveness and we are right back under the shower of His blessings. Now I am not saying that if we are in disobedience that bad things will happen to us. I am simply saying that to receive all the blessings that God has for us, blessings which are there for us, we cannot receive them while living our life in disobedience to His word.

Once we understand this then we begin to understand just how much God loves us and what He has for us while on this earth. I doubt that many who view this have had more disappointments, hardships, and tragedies in their life than I have. Yet I can still smile, I can still live my life with joy because I know that God did not cause any of the bad things that have happened. Some of those things I caused with poor choices and bad decisions, some were caused by others who did the same, but not one of them was sent down on me by an angry God. It is the loving, caring, merciful, God who has brought me through those things and enabled me to live with hope and joy.

Blessings to all.

ZG

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good post ZG. Very inspiring and well written.
I know that God knows our every thought and need, and sometimes we think we need things that we certainly don't, so expecting a blessing may initially be very disappointing.
We are told that we will receive blessings if we love the Lord and follow his word, so we should just sit back and enjoy the greatest blessing of all....the comfort of knowing we have a home in Heaven for eternity no matter what happens in this short time we spend on earth. Let the rest fall where they may.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
The rain falls on the just and the unjust. There are trials and tribulations that even the strongest most devout Christians will face. The joy comes from having total faith in God that no matter what happens during those times, that in the end, if you are a true and faithful servant, that you will spend eternity walking the streets of gold. To think that as a Christian that you are going to be happy all of the time, that you will not endure hardship, that you will not face times of sorrow is foolish.

I do as well believe in a loving Heavenly Father. But, just as your earthly father, there is a punishment for disobedience.

In Galatians 6, referring to sowing, too many people believe that if you sow the good seed, you will receive material gain. That is a fallacy that has deceived many. Gods blessings do not come by way of material gain, but by spiritual gain, knowledge and wisdom. But when you sow the bad seed, it will bring forth earthly pain for those that are caught up in illegal and immoral activities. But that does in no way compare to the eternal pain that they will endure.

Yes, God is a loving God. God is a just God. But God is the almighty and demands respect, devotion and a servant attitude from His Children.

Last edited:

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Al Mohler posed the question, so I will pose it to you as well - "Will the same message and gospel that Joel Osteen preaches also be 100% applicable to a suffering believer anywhere else in the world?" In other words, can you without hesitation preach the same message that you yourself preach at your church this Sunday to an underground church in China, or to a huddled mass of believers hiding in the jungle in the Phillipines?

I think not. So if you would change something in your message as you move across the pond, then you know intuitively that if it doesn't preach there, it should not preach here.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Al Mohler posed the question, so I will pose it to you as well - "Will the same message and gospel that Joel Osteen preaches also be 100% applicable to a suffering believer anywhere else in the world?" In other words, can you without hesitation preach the same message that you yourself preach at your church this Sunday to an underground church in China, or to a huddled mass of believers hiding in the jungle in the Phillipines?

I think not. So if you would change something in your message as you move across the pond, then you know intuitively that if it doesn't preach there, it should not preach here.

As I have repeated more than once, we are all free to believe as we choose. I won't argue or debate with anyone about it, neither will I believe otherwise. I will comment that you don't start a child off in kinder garden with algebra, neither would you start a new believer off with teaching for the spiritually mature.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Thank you for sharing. I share your thoughts. Are you still into financial counseling?

I could say as time permits but truthfully I have never turned anyone down and I have never charged anyone a dime. So I guess that is a yes provided anyone could tolerate my hectic schedule these days. :D

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns

I agree with you. The truth has to be taught. Not a watered down version of how to feel good about yourself. You owe it to the recipient to preach what the bible teaches. There are several ways in which this can be done without overloading them. As Zach's Grandpa mentioned in his reply to you, you cannot start a kindergartener off on algebra, and I will add, that you cannot give them steak when they needs mothers milk, but Joel Osteen is not even giving them mothers milk, he is simply inspiring them to be good. There are good people that are lost. Our charge is to seek and save the lost, not just make them feel good about being lost.

Last edited:

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As I have repeated more than once, we are all free to believe as we choose. I won't argue or debate with anyone about it, neither will I believe otherwise. I will comment that you don't start a child off in kinder garden with algebra, neither would you start a new believer off with teaching for the spiritually mature.

Actually we are not free to believe as we choose, for we will be judged by what we believe as well as what we do and what we say. Your theology determines your practice and actions. You are obligated to believe as the Scriptures teach, no matter if that upsets your preferences. Your whole life will be battling the noetic effects of sin as well as more easily identifiable things like lust and slothfulness. Do not ignore the fallen nature of your mind, because the prejudices it holds are just as real as the ones more obvious to all.

I would also point out that Scripture is not judged by your experience, your experience is judged by Scripture. You have the lens turned around backwards.

Ole Paul seems not to have been living out the gospel very well. Maybe he should have been living by Osteen's gospel. Maybe he could have had a little easier time of it.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
As stated, not interested in debating or arguing with you or anyone else. I was asked by several to post what I believe and why if you don't agree with it then you do have the choice not to read it or believe it. I seriously doubt that either of us will have a lasting effect on the other so it would be useless to continue our discussion.