Clover Plot Question

Secret Spot

Six Pointer
I have a nice white clover plot going about 1 1/2 acres. Was going to post pictures but said file to large? Limed last fall 1 ton per acre, fertilized in March with 10-20-20.

My question is what do I spray with to control grass? How often should I mow and at what height?

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Tarheeler is right but he left of a important letter in the broadleaf chemical. 24dB, not 24d. Goes by butyrac 200. Other options would be pursuit or raptor. They are higher by the gallon but cheap by the acre. Might be hard to justify the initial purchase of those on a small plot though. I also like clethodim for grasses, just works better to me. Use 1% of the volume of tank mix in crop oil with either sethoxydim or clethodim.

Be careful on the amount of crop oil used and when you use it. I sprayed my clover plot for grasses last year (per the directions) in July of last year. There was a 3 week drought and it was very hot. My whole field was brown and it stunted all my clover terribly. Most came back this spring though.

Secret Spot

Six Pointer
Thanks for the advice. I have my chems and am ready to spray , if this dang rain ever stops. Have close to 4 inches this week.

One more question about mowing. Should I wait until it blooms to mow? How tall should it be before I mow?

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I just mow to keep any weeds from seeding out. I dont think it helps the clover enough to matter, if it does at all.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
This may not be recommended, but I've seen clover come back from low doses 1-2% solutions of roundup & the grasses die. Arrow/Select are better choices to kill grass though. As others have said, be careful with the crop oil when it's hot out.