Sugar Beets

Drewnjnc

maybe an stupid question....but does anyone know where to buy sugar beets? I hear the deer love them and need something to lure them from the trail they run to my new feeder about 25 yards away. The corn hasn't done it yet. I've heard molasses works. Thoughts?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
peanut butter will draw them, but if it's only 25 yards from the trail they will smell the corn. You can always scatter a bit of loose corn as a trail to the feeder. BTW..peanut butter will also draw every coon and squirrel in the county.

Wildlifepro51

maybe an stupid question....but does anyone know where to buy sugar beets? I hear the deer love them and need something to lure them from the trail they run to my new feeder about 25 yards away. The corn hasn't done it yet. I've heard molasses works. Thoughts?

I would not recommend sugar beets down this way as they are to high in sugars and carbs. And you never give deer Molassas or sweet feed.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns

If you have your feeder going off early in daytime hours and your not seeing deer, thats a location problem. If you have it only going off in evening, the raccoons could be eating it all before deer can get to it.

concepthomes1

We use sugar beets every year in northern Michigan. Never seen them for sale down here though. Maybe tow a 20 ft trailer and buy a trailer load and bring back. Resell and make a little profit.

**Sent from mobile device--disregard any typos**

Raspy1

Every store in Mich seems to have a pile of them for sell to hunters.

Wildlifepro51

And exactly why is that.................

This time of year deer do not need high carbs and starches, They need high forage protein types. Molassas and sweet feeds are really made more for mono gastric animals and not ruminants. Sweet feeds are high in sugars and upset a deers rumen, It changes the PH value by lowering it as a deers rumen needs to stay as close to neutral ph as possible. It also lowers and can destroy two enzyme types deer have in the rumen, Protease and Amylase. They are in the rumen to help break down proteins and turn them into peptide levels. With out them or a lowered level of these digestive enzymes its harder for them to break down and metabolise proteins from your food plots or protein feeders. Sweet feeds also can cause grain overload and as stated is way to high in sugars, carbs and starches. Sugar beets can be given in late fall but mixed in with other plantings but not spring plantings. Exactly...

Last edited:

JayDB

Eight Pointer
I began planting turnips a few years ago. They grew well and the deer tore them up. When I went back to purchase turnip seed for the next planting, the gentleman I get my seed from suggested I add other brassicas (to the mix). He recommended Sugar Beets. So I added them when I planted turnips the following year. They came up great. Deer loved them!

I now include Sugar Beets in my brassicas plots.

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
Main reason they are not a good choice right NOW is they are a cool season planting, they'd never mature much less be any use to deer now. Plant them next fall, you'll be good