what to plant?

jim67

Eight Pointer
Well I got my property disced up where I want to plant, then limed. Im guessing a total of 1 1/2 acre? of cleared spots. Now my question is, what to plant now? I have been looking at Whitetail institute stuff but very pricey. I don't mind spending the money, but this is new to me and I don't really know what Im doing LOL. I keep reading soy beans, and iron clay peas and lab lab. But what I gather, if you don't have enough acres to plant, the beans will be destroyed in just a few days. Appreciate all the help. Jim.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
It's still a little early for soybeans,buckwheat and such,probably a good idea to stick with clover...like a ladino,until it warms up a little,maybe May or June.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With a single 1 1/2 acre plot you have lots of options, although a bit small for soybeans, the other options you mentioned, combined with something like millet or sorghum would be great. I have never had alot of success with lab lab in our clay soils around here, but any type of bean does really good and fixes nitrogen for your late fall planting as well. Burgandy bean is ver hardy and does well if you can keep the deer out of them to maturity.

dirtburn

Four Pointer
I have planted a variety of WTI seeds over the years and have had decent results out of them but I will say the only one I see myself using again would be their clover, with a soil test and proper pH it will last like they claim. The best results came after using a of saver barrier to let it get established.I will be doing soybeans for the first time this year on about the same area you have and hope for the best.

jim67

Eight Pointer
With a single 1 1/2 acre plot you have lots of options, although a bit small for soybeans, the other options you mentioned, combined with something like millet or sorghum would be great. I have never had alot of success with lab lab in our clay soils around here, but any type of bean does really good and fixes nitrogen for your late fall planting as well. Burgandy bean is ver hardy and does well if you can keep the deer out of them to maturity.

Thanks, the plots are small but maybe total 1 1/2 acres so soybeans will not be used. What type of fertilizer should I put down and when. Good to know about the lab lab.

Lucas

I second the soil sample. Most products have fert. recommendations on bags or websites. Had success with grain sorghum in small plots.
Good luck.

jim67

Eight Pointer
Well I went out to the garage and found a bag of WTI powerplant. Nice! I forgot I had it from a couple years ago, hope its still good.