So what are y'all doing right now for deer?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Most of the seed stuff I have been looking up says to plant in the fall, but I was kind of wanting deer to find my spots long before then.

Would that mean planting now and then replanting a new fall crop later? Which I am not necessarily opposed to.

Fishmonger

I plant a spring summer plot of beans sunflowers and corn then start over in first of sept for my winter peas and greans

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
We will be planting in May with summer stuff, then come back over it in septamber with fall stuff.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I frost seeded some ladino and crimson clover into an existing clover plot a week or so ago. Limed it and fertilized as well.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Amen!

Minerals, clover, chicory, and wheat. Waiting for a dry spell to fertilize the cool season plots. Then plant corn to hunt over, and soybeans to grow them.

Got to break in my new tractor soon. Just got here today and I cant wait!

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Most of the seed stuff I have been looking up says to plant in the fall, but I was kind of wanting deer to find my spots long before then.

Would that mean planting now and then replanting a new fall crop later? Which I am not necessarily opposed to.

Basically, yes. Summer forage is mostly annuals like beans or peas with a few oddballs like jointvetch or buckwheat for smaller plots. On small plots, buckwheat is a good choice because it establishes quickly and can be cut up for fall planting. Medium size plots you can use peas, and on larger plots do soybeans. Ideally you want to have a few different plots in a variety of forages. Sometime you have to work with what you have and use the same space, but the problem with that is you are cutting up your summer plot in late summer when you need it most.

Last edited:

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
James river equipment in danville va. Always has the best price on green out of the few places I check.

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My salesman is Tim Blalock, but there must be a half dozen guys up there. For what its worth, they also sponsored our QDMA banquet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited: